New Features on the Dobyns Extreme Series DX

WB Staff

New Features on the Dobyns Extreme Series DX

Post by WB Staff »

g man

Re: New Features on the Dobyns Extreme Series DX

Post by g man »

Matt Allen and Arden Hanline jr. kept after me to make the switch to Dobyn's years ago. I fish a lot of swimbaits and I knew bassdaddy thought a lot of his Dobyn's swimbait rods so I bought an 867. It instantly became my favorite swimbait rod. That thing loads up under the Deps 250 and hudd and throws them both about 1/4 length farther than my older rods with much less effort which helps me out because I am older. What many of my friends don't know about me is I still stick some giants on the brush hog, spinner bait, jig, and top water. This is where my Dobyn's extremes come into play for me. They are light, sensitive, durable, and engineered correctly to pin a fish and keep them pinned until I get them in the boat. If you don't believe me just go to the new frogging video on(Tactical Bassin) of Matt Allen's and Tim Little and just watch the rod's perform....remember Matt Allen is a braid guy so you can clearly see in the video the rods load up...pretty enlightening stuff for sure. Gary's warranty is the best out there and he always stands behind it 100% from what I have heard although I have "never" had a rod break on me yet. For all you guys that fish other rods I am not trying to win you over; just trying to help some of the guys that are on the fence the way Arden, bassdaddy, and Matt helped me. g man
Last edited by g man on Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

g man wrote:Matt Allen and Arden Hanline jr. kept after me to make the switch to Dobyn's years ago. I fish a lot of swimbaits and my favorite swimbait rod is the 867. That thing loads up under the Deps 250 and hudd and throws them both about 1/4 length farther than my older rods with much less effort which helps me out because I am older. What many of my friends don't know about me is I still stick some giants on the brush hog, spinner bait, jig, and top water. This is where my Dobyn's extremes come into play for me. They are light, sensitive, durable, and engineered correctly to pin a fish and keep them pinned until I get them in the boat. If you don't believe me just go to the new frogging video (Tactical Bassin) of Matt Allen's and Tim Little and just watch the rod's perform. Gary's warranty is the best out there and always stands behind it 100%. For all you guys that fish other rods I am not trying to win you over; just trying to help some of the guys that are on the fence the way Arden and Matt helped me. g man
I fish with Dobyns rods, 5 of them in fact. I have not been as lucky as some others. Mine have broken on hook sets and I have to replace 3 or 4 guides every season. I hope these new rods are not as brittle as the ones they are replacing. I have personally had a lot of issues with mine but I still really like the rods. I've pretty much stopped buying Dobyns and have been replacing them with G-loomis and Daiwa rods. However, Dobyns has a lot of cool options and this new line has my attention. If I hear good things about the new line up, they can definitely win me back.

And I have to completely disagree the warranty comment. Shimano and St. Criox have excellent warranties (better warranties). Also, high end Daiwa rods have a great warranty. I had a steez compile-x rod break after many years of use. I paid $25 to ship them the rod and received a new one within 2 weeks. It doesn't get any better than that.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Jared,
I've had the opposite experience with Dobyns Rods.
I fished two of the original first generation spinning rods for a long time. When one finally broke, after I'd landed a 5+lb striper up at Pyramid, I asked Gary if that rod was still made. He said no, but, for the warranty price, he'd send me the latest version of it.
He did, and it's been great.
I also have two of his bait casting rods, and have had no troubles at all.
Did you try calling their shop? He or Richard are usually there to answer the phone, and they will take care of you.
And, no, I'm not sponsored by them, sadly. :wink:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

If these ones are less brittle than the older Extremes then they'll be perfect. I've broken my 744 twice on hook sets with braid. It's my favorite rod by far, but dropping $80 for a replacement still hurts. More sensitive than my Powell, but also more fragile.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I'm another old swimbait guy, so I also appreciate the casting effectiveness and sensitivity of the Dobyns swimbaits sticks. I own almost every model they make in the swimbait category and I absolutely love them. When I'm not throwing swimbaits I like to drag jigs so a couple of years ago I went on the hunt for the consummate jig rod. My search ended with a DX 746C. As many of you, I own way too many rods and this one just might be my favorite stick. One of the reasons I was willing to put up the $$$ for that jig rod was because over the years I have had two issues with Dobyns rods and both times Gary and Richard went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of. One issue was a warranty situation and it was handled quickly. But the other one was definitely pilot error. I had caught 100's of fish on that rod before it broke, so I could hardly blame anyone but myself. I'm not exactly sure what I did to weaken that rod, but I tend to flare my nostrils and shove my eyebrows together when I swing, so if it was defective it would have buckled a long time before it did. I was more than happy to pay the replacement fee to get another one.
Tree
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

I started switcing over to Dobyns after the Gen2 sticks came out. Got a boat full of them now. Never had a problem with any of them except for one guide insert breaking. Honestly, that was probably my fault as the rod locker lid came down on it. I use Extreme sticks for all my bottom contact stuff. Never felt or thought of the Extremes being brittle. I'm usually on the Delta so most reels are spooled with braid. That said, I don't lock down my drag until I get to the 5 power sticks.

I have a couple of the new Extreme HP's - 743 & 744. I've only had them a short time but my initial experience is really good. Based on the couple I have, the build quality is really good - guide alignment, wraps, finish, cork, etc. New graphics is a nice update. Bought them before I saw the video. As Gary said, the upper section is a little more powerful. Seems to me that the rod(s) fish a little more powerfully. In my hands, they are a bit more sensitive. I'm planning on buying a 745 soon. Be smart if I can hold out until the Black Friday sales.......