Are YOU ready for a WORLD RECORD BASS??

Caudawg

Are YOU ready for a WORLD RECORD BASS??

Post by Caudawg »

There is a lot of chatter about all the huge bass being caught lately and it prompts the questions...Are you ready for a world record bass? I mean...REALLY ready to fully capitalize on a new record bass?? There are some absolutely giant largemouth, smallmouth and spotted bass being caught in California lately and it seems like we are seeing an overall trend in much larger bass being caught than ever before.

So...what would you do if it was you who catches a potential world record bass?

What would be the top priority things you should immediately do should you catch a potential record bass?

I will go on record with a prediction that a new world record largemouth and spotted bass will be caught in California in the next 2 years. So I ask again...are you ready to fully capitalize on a potential record bass that you may catch?
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Tony P

Re: Are YOU ready for a WORLD RECORD BASS??

Post by Tony P »

Fish tacos & a schooner of 7&7? :lol:
swimbait

Post by swimbait »

Gotta slather that big bass up with mustard.
Tony P

Post by Tony P »

[quote="swimbait"]Gotta slather that big bass up with mustard.[/quote]

Then roll it bread crumbs & deep fry it. :D
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

OK... so I was right on one out of two...on that post from over 2 years ago.

But the question remains...are you ready to catch a world record? Do you know what it takes to git 'er done officially?
John Caulfield
Freelance Outdoor Writer
JKumarbass

Post by JKumarbass »

I'd say that if you caught one and were willing to jump through all the hoops to get it certified, get ready to find out who your friends really are. With any species, it's a firestorm.
http://www.bassgold.com - The world's best bass patterning tool
http://bassblaster.bassgold.com - The best, funniest daily read in bassin'
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

In today's world we have the advantage of smart phones with good cameras, still and vedio, that can record the catch and call in the catch. We have small very accurate scales that can be certified. Back in the 80's and 90's when giant LMB were more common our lakes didn't have any means to validate a catch, no certified scales or a camera available, we carried poor quality disposable camera and a spring scale in our boats.
It's always illegal in California to transport a live bass away from the lake to get a weight on a certified scale, getting a photo at times was also a challenge when you are trying to keep the bass healthy and intend to release it.
Been there and done that lots of frustrating times and the reason some of my giant bass went undocumented, wasn't prepared back then. Today I am prepared, just can't catch that 20+ bass!
If anyone catches a potential world record bass. My advice is put the fish on ice, it's nearly impossible to validate a record after the fish is released.
Tom
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Just thinking out loud...

It might be good to know which meat market (near Berryessa?? :wink: ) has a recently certified scale and a butcher who might be willing to bring that scale down to the lake/marina where you would wait for them. Personally, I'd offer a nice amount of cash as a reward for interrupting their day. Obviously, this is not always posssible to pull off but if you are going hunting for a world record (and many are at Berryessa, Lake X and others in Socal)...you better be ready for the possibility that you actually catch a "contender".

Or...maybe you can talk a tournament director into bringing down their tournament scale (if it has been recently certified) to help you get that fish weighed and documented.

It also might help to know the local game wardens or DFW biologists and be on a friendly basis with them in the event you need them to help out with the verification process.

It might also be a good thing to build a relationship with an outdoor writer who can help you document what happened and possibly help you to maximize this type of opportunity on the marketing side of things.

In other words...besides knowing exactly what the IGFA requirements are...it's good to know what resources you might need to pull it off.

Maybe we should build a World Record checklist of things you must/should do in the event you are lucky enough to catch a contender for a world record or even a state record?

Here is a good start: https://www.igfa.org/Junior-Igfa-Record ... ubmit.aspx
John Caulfield
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

It's fairly easy to get a quality digital scale certified by Weights & Measure. Look at any gasoline pump, it will have the local phone number for getting your scale certified.
The problem is when catching a giant bass while fishing alone, most trophy bass anglers prefer to fish by themselves. Getting a witness, a fishery biologist to examine the fish and certified weight, plus length and girth measurements photographed, the bass photographed with the angler holding it, picture of tackle used, lures, rigs ,line test, etc. look at the IGFA rules and application form, keep a form with you.
Tom