A-Rig Rod?

Colebass

A-Rig Rod?

Post by Colebass »

Ok as I have been away from fishing for a few years and am now back fishing this A-Rig is of interest to me. What rod do you throw it on and why? Not necessary the brand but length, power etc. What line size do you like and why? I understand the 5, 3 and 2 thing for other states. What is your favorite time of year to use it?

Thank you in advance!
Dave Cole
phatbass

Re: A-Rig Rod?

Post by phatbass »

Hello,
I use a Powell 795 to throw an a-rig. You really need a heavy action long rod to throw these things as the can be very bulky. 65/80 braid is a must. A lot of guys will also use a mono or fluorocarbon leader as well, but I tie direct. I used to use a bass pro Johnny Morris signature 7'6" and it did fine but the extra couple inches and lightness of the Powell 795 really make a difference. I don't fish the a-rig a lot, but when I do, it's mostly in the fall in the Cal delta.
Hope this helps.
Tight lines
Sal
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

You need a rod with a parabolic bend, or the baits will foul themselves on the cast.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
reddog

Post by reddog »

I used to use a loomis umbrella rod but now I use a Cousins 755 because it works for me for other baits as well so its easier to also carry in the boat. I throw it on the braid to leader combo so there's some more shock absorbing in the setup. I've thrown it on mono 25# and had no issues but you have to keep your line up and check your knots before you go out for the day. The straight braid for me is actually not what I like as there's NO give if you make a mistake and to much shock for any knot, just my opinion some may disagree. Totally agree you need a parabolic bend all the way down the blank, that way you could handle 2 5# fish! Check out frenzy baits Arigs if only for their description on rigging whether you like their arig or not is up to you, I do. G funk baits is Jason Barofka and he makes a winner too.
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

I use a Daiwa Zillion 7'6" flippin stick. It has plenty of power and you can really feel the rig better than some other rods. Plus it is great for tons of other applications. I throw it on a 6.3 tatula with 50 lb braid.
DDG

Post by DDG »

I use a Irod genesis 2 Jr. swimbait rod paired with a bass pro revolution or a less tournament lite. depends what weight of the rig I'm throwin. I strongly suggest NOT using too heavy of a rod I had some serious issues with big fish thrown the hook when i first started throwing rigs and swimbaits with a heavier rod. Losing fish when you first start throwing those baits definitely discourages you as a angler lol better to have the right gear when thrown bigger baits.
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

A rigs, love em or hate em I've had an A rig and a spoon on my boat deck from October to late spring for the past 5 years. I use a 7'11 MH rod with a long butt end and I huck it all day. Line and size really depends on the baits, weights etc but as a starter for upland reservoirs I'd recommend 12Lb Maxima mono. I don't like braid because of windy storms during my time on the water it causes me to much frustration. There's a lot more to fishing an A rig than most think but lot's of casts and prep can make for some really fun day's on the water, good luck David and welcome back.
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I'm not claiming to be an A-rig expert but I've spent a bunch of time throwing them on a wide array of different sticks and for most of the A-rigs I throw I have found the Dobyns 795 ML SB to be the best option. Due to the length of the rod and rod handle I get the casting distance I need and even though they are designed to be swim bait rods, they still are parabolic enough to keep A-rig fish pinned.
I'm a braid guy but I almost always use and FC leader...for confidence if nothing else.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Also not an expert but have had pretty good success with it the last 4 or so years on Clear Lake and Berryessa. Started with braid then mono and now flouro. Went from damaging many rigs and a few backlashes to not getting a good hook in a fish to really happy in all conditions. Poles lines and reels are all going to be related to what kind of weight you're going to throw along with depth. The deeper the heavier you're gonna want the rig to be (1/4-3/8 oz heads with weighted screw lock dummies). Shallow less weight maybe even close to none ( 1/8th oz. heads and unweighted screw locked dummies). I throw the bladed version a lot now and I go for a rod with more back bone to compensate for the extra dynamics of the bait. What ever you do don't go for the Duckett A-rig rod with micro guides. Mines for sale if anyone wants it. I know, not a good sales pitch. Good luck.
zmyers
Colebass

Thank you!

Post by Colebass »

Love all the response. That's what this website is suppose to be about, sharing information, learning, fishing and fun. Danny, thank you! I'm excited to be back fishing on a regular schedule, meaning at least once a week or more when fishing a tournament.

I look forward to sharing more when I'm fishing even more. Hope you all have a great weekend and catch some fish!
Dave Cole