Live well leaking???

birdi23nls

Live well leaking???

Post by birdi23nls »

The other day I noticed that I had a small leak. I've narrowed it down to the live well. I'm not 100% but it seems to be leaking from under the gas tank.

My fear is that the gas tank needs to be removed and I'm not sure I have the tools or know how to remove it. I'm thing of bringing the boat into a shop.

My question is, how big of a job is this?
And if they have to remove the gas take, ballpark, what is it going to cost to fix it?

Thanks
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
kopper_bass

Re: Live well leaking???

Post by kopper_bass »

Birdi,
more info would be helpful, like what kind of boat are you riding in? Year? etc.

Next, when are you seeing a leak? Is it just from water rushing into the hoses from the transom, irregardless of whether you have filled the tanks? is it once you have filled the tanks and are trying to recirculate? More info would help isolate and confirm where the leak is occuring.

In general, if you livewell is leaking its likely either a hose joint, the actual pumps, or the mechanical stopper that you activate to close/open the livewell. All of which are replaceable and relatively cheap. the cost, as you have figured, is the labor of getting to them. I seriously doubt the tank itself is leaking, so no worries there.

It seems rather odd to have the livewell hoses going under your gas tank, as they typically would go down and into the center of the boat and out the back thru the transom, in the drain area. this is why it would be good to know what kind of boat we're talking about and when its leaking.

Before taking it to the dealer, i would try to fully isolate the problem.
Fill 1 livewell at a time (if you have 2 separate tanks) and look for the leak. try filling it manually with a hose and avoid running your pumps to see if it leaks. keep the livewell stopper closed.
If you dont see a leak, then turn on the recirculate pumps and see if its leaking.
Lastly, then run the pump-out and look for leaks.

If you find a leak, try disconnecting 1 hose at a time from the tank or the transom area and pull on it to see if you can pull excess hose out and find the problem.

Parts cost to fix a livewell leak could be as cheap as $25 bucks, and usually not more than $100. The cost will be for the labor. Labor at a shop is anywhere from $75/hr and up, with likely 2hrs minimum charge.

Hope that can help.
Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

It's going to be hard for me to explain but I will take a picture when I get home.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
reddog

Post by reddog »

I recently helped fix the same type of mystery leak in a friends boat which turned out to be the O-ring inside the live well pump. Have you by any chance noticed your live wells taking a longer time to fill? That was the clue on the case I'm speaking of.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Hard to explain the make, model and year of your boat?
Tom
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

WRB wrote:Hard to explain the make, model and year of your boat?
Tom
No, hard to explain where it seems the leak is coming from.

But it is a 2013 211r Ledgend
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
basshol

Post by basshol »

Should still be under warrenty if it's a 2013
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Found it. Fixed