Low Oil Light keeps coming on!

cutter36

Low Oil Light keeps coming on!

Post by cutter36 »

I own a 2002 Skeeter with a 150 Yamaha HPDI! Saturday morning before prefishing for a tournament I topped off my 2 cycle oil tank next to my batteris! Later that day on lake Berryessa in some rough water my engine kept cutting out and the low oil alert light would momentarily come on, as soon as my boat would slow down 5 mph or so the light would kik off and engine would resume power. So I checked my oil tank and realized that I didnt screw the oil cap on tight, it was very loose! So I tightened it up and checked the other smaller oil tank under the engine cowling, the oil lever was about 3/4 full, right at the upper full arrow! But the problem still continues, every time I hit a wave or go too fast the light comes on and engine momentarily cuts out! Does anyone have experience with this problem, I feel like it is something very simple! HELP PLEASE!!!
drdetroit3

Re: Low Oil Light keeps coming on!

Post by drdetroit3 »

Sounds like a loose wire or bad sensor?
DB

Post by DB »

Did you bleed all air out of the under cowling oil reservoir?
cutter36

Post by cutter36 »

DB wrote:Did you bleed all air out of the under cowling oil reservoir?
No I didnt, there are two arrow on the small tank, I was guessing they are HI LOW arrows, the top arrow is about 2 inches from the top of tank, and the oil level is about a half an inch below the top arrow! I assumed the oil level was correct and no air was in the line….. What is the best way to get the air out? And how full should the smaller tank be?? Thanks!
briansII

Post by briansII »

cutter36 wrote:
No I didnt, there are two arrow on the small tank, I was guessing they are HI LOW arrows, the top arrow is about 2 inches from the top of tank, and the oil level is about a half an inch below the top arrow! I assumed the oil level was correct and no air was in the line….. What is the best way to get the air out? And how full should the smaller tank be?? Thanks!
I don't have a Yamaha, but have bled air out of my Merc oil reservoir. With the engine running, loosen the cap on the tank. The oil level should rise while air is pushed out. Tighten the cap and check to see if the level stays at the full mark. It should. If not, you might have other problems.

briansII
cutter36

Post by cutter36 »

briansII wrote:
cutter36 wrote:
I don't have a Yamaha, but have bled air out of my Merc oil reservoir. With the engine running, loosen the cap on the tank. The oil level should rise while air is pushed out. Tighten the cap and check to see if the level stays at the full mark. It should. If not, you might have other problems.

briansII
Hey thanks, I will try that!
philip garcia

Post by philip garcia »

I had the exact same issue with my 225 Yamaha hpdi. The problem was there is a little filter on the side of your main oil reservoir sometimes it gets clogged. That is why when you drive it slow speeds it can pump just barely enough oil to keep the motor going but when you go at higher speeds your motor uses more oil and the pump cannot keep up with the amount of oil it needs so then your low oil light comes on. There is a little switch next to the reservoir under the cowling. You can unhook the oil line that goes to the motor Reservoir from the main reservoir and then hit the switch and see how much oil it can pump out if it does not pump out very much then your filter is clogged if it pumps out steady and enough then you have a different issue.
cutter36

Post by cutter36 »

philip garcia wrote:I had the exact same issue with my 225 Yamaha hpdi. The problem was there is a little filter on the side of your main oil reservoir sometimes it gets clogged. That is why when you drive it slow speeds it can pump just barely enough oil to keep the motor going but when you go at higher speeds your motor uses more oil and the pump cannot keep up with the amount of oil it needs so then your low oil light comes on. There is a little switch next to the reservoir under the cowling. You can unhook the oil line that goes to the motor Reservoir from the main reservoir and then hit the switch and see how much oil it can pump out if it does not pump out very much then your filter is clogged if it pumps out steady and enough then you have a different issue.
Thanks, I will check that out.