Tilt goes down, won't go up

Jim V.

Tilt goes down, won't go up

Post by Jim V. »

200 Opti. Tilt/trim switch on motor (lower cowling) going up won't work . Works on down. Up and down both work on throttle and bow switch. Do I need to put a new switch on cowling?
Zagsaw

Re: Tilt goes down, won't go up

Post by Zagsaw »

Switch
babybass

Post by babybass »

Had the same problem, Switch on Cowling. Very Easy and I am a Dummy fixing things.
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

Actually it's a relay not a switch, I would replace both and keep the good one as a spare. I had the same problem on the Colorado river a few years back and thank god I had an extra on the boat. about 20 bucks each and about 10 minutes to do both.
Don't hate the Player, hate the game!!!
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

Looks like 3 relays. Know which one it might be? Lowest price I could find on the switch was about $56. But it looks pretty easy to replace.
Luckyfisherman

Post by Luckyfisherman »

Open the control maybe u have a wire in there that is chewed up....that was what happened to mine.
Luckyfisherman

Post by Luckyfisherman »

Like this
Attachments
20160331_081917.jpg
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

Thanks - My switch works OK on the shift. The one on the motor cowling does not work up but works down.
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

I would disconnect one and see if it goes down still. If not you have the right one. Shop around you can still find them under $30.00.

Found these one on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilt-Trim-Relay ... l6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... y&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Mercury-Ou ... 88&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Mercury-ou ... W4&vxp=mtr
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

Thanks Big -
The tilt works fine up/down from the throttle handle and from the front deck panel. Motor cowling switch goes down but won't go up. You think that's a relay & not the switch?
myfishin

Post by myfishin »

If the trim works for the bow and throttle switche then there no issue with the trim relays. It has to be either a bad switch or wire. I'd switch the up and down wires at the motor switch to see if it works the opposite. If it does you got a bad switch. If not, you got a bad or loose wire.
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

I would say switch if you can make it go both up and down from anywhere but not one specific area. As stated by others check all wired first. Loose or damaged wires can cause this problem, if you see nothing more reverse the wires and see if they work in the opposite direction. If so you have a bad switch. Again cheap fix, just have to shop around
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

Thank you everyone for the responses. I ordered a cowling trim switch & it arrived last week. Disconnected the old one and plugged in the new one before installing to make sure that was the problem - worked great.. Removed the old one, popped in the new one. All's well. Thanks.