Delta Smallmouths

BASSaholic

Delta Smallmouths

Post by BASSaholic »

I fish the Delta mostly for largemouth bass but my 13-yr old son wants to try fishing for smallmouth bass. I have no clue on where to start but we do fish from a boat. Would anybody be able to help me put my son on some smallmouths out in the Delta? Launching at Paradise. You can PM me info if you don't want to put post it on here. Thanks and tight lines!!!
I need help!!! I can't stop Fishing.
minnkotaman

Re: Delta Smallmouths

Post by minnkotaman »

go to Whimpy"s marina north on I-5 really easy to find.
when you get there head north and start on the bank on the left.
they're all over up there in the river system.
another spot is arrowhead in miners slough.
the tides a lot slower up there and a small mouth
on every other cast at times.
but it's not a very good ramp. stay on the left side.
shallow running craw cranks worked best for me.
jim l.
spinnerbait70

Post by spinnerbait70 »

Georgiana slough is another choice. Catch spots largies & smallmouth. Start at oxbow marina and go North. Docks on left and keep moving till u find em. Further north holds more smallies. Shallow to mid cranks, jerk baits and of course a variety of plastics.Top water in am.
fishwithron

Post by fishwithron »

Go next door to New Hope Landing. Much better ramp and dock where your son can hold onto the rope when launching. New Hope is just to the rite of Wimpy's and cost $10.00. New Hope ramp is more level and you don't have to fight that current when launching coming and going you won't be sorry.
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I haven't fished then delta much in the last 15 years, but I know there are nice smallies in some areas! I went on a trip with Rick Tietz many years ago - somewhere in the delta - couldn't find it again if I tried!! I was hoping for a big largemouth and suddenly, with my "Larry Hemphill Special" -brown/orange jig with #180 Yamamoto grub - I hooked smallie after smallie in the 1 1/2 to 3 lb range. I look at Rick and said "where did these come from???" Forgot all about the big largemouth!!
BASSaholic

Post by BASSaholic »

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it! Looks like I will have to go North to catch them. Thanks again.
I need help!!! I can't stop Fishing.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Smallies are sight feeders so find clearer water.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....