Networking Navionics Platinum with HDS Units

Moderator: Ken Sauret

calranger488

Networking Navionics Platinum with HDS Units

Post by calranger488 »

Is it possible to network the navionics Platinum between two units. I have the Gen II HDS 8 on the console and the Gen II 7 on the front networked through Structure Scan, can't get the Navionics chart to come up on the front unit.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
MMoore83

Re: Networking Navionics Platinum with HDS Units

Post by MMoore83 »

From what I understand. Just connecting the yellow ended ethernet cables between them should link them.
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Hey there calranger, If both your Gen2s are running the latest updated software versions available you shouldn't have any issue as long as both graphs are always on..
calranger488

Post by calranger488 »

TravisH wrote:Hey there calranger, If both your Gen2s are running the latest updated software versions available you shouldn't have any issue as long as both graphs are always on..
Updating was the key.......all is good now, thank you sir!!
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

Here is the other thing to consider. You can share the card if both units are on. Once you place the unit with the Navionics Chart on standby the second unit that is on will not read the card. What I am saying is that most of us place our units on standby to save power and decrease the pings. You may still want to consider two cards.
The Wanabepro
Edd

Post by Edd »

rickyshabazz wrote:Here is the other thing to consider. You can share the card if both units are on. Once you place the unit with the Navionics Chart on standby the second unit that is on will not read the card. What I am saying is that most of us place our units on standby to save power and decrease the pings. You may still want to consider two cards.
I don't have a Navionics card to check this with but I did check it with an IG card. Placing the unit WITH the IG card in it into 'stand-by' had zero effect on the other units. I can still offer a work-around for the Navionics people. Place the unit with the Navionics card into a chart only page. You stop the transducer ping and retain full chart sharing for all units. Or, may just be another good reason to switch over to Insight Genesis charting.
Basshopper

Post by Basshopper »

Edd wrote:
rickyshabazz wrote:Here is the other thing to consider. You can share the card if both units are on. Once you place the unit with the Navionics Chart on standby the second unit that is on will not read the card. What I am saying is that most of us place our units on standby to save power and decrease the pings. You may still want to consider two cards.
I don't have a Navionics card to check this with but I did check it with an IG card. Placing the unit WITH the IG card in it into 'stand-by' had zero effect on the other units. I can still offer a work-around for the Navionics people. Place the unit with the Navionics card into a chart only page. You stop the transducer ping and retain full chart sharing for all units. Or, may just be another good reason to switch over to Insight Genesis charting.
I don't believe this is true as the digital overlay continues to read the depth on the chart screen.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Basshopper wrote:
Edd wrote:
I don't believe this is true as the digital overlay continues to read the depth on the chart screen.
What is it you don't believe?
Basshopper

Post by Basshopper »

That the tranducer is shut off when in chart mode. Otherwise you would not get a depth reading on your depth overlay on your chart. Can you explain otherwise?
Edd

Post by Edd »

It will depend on WHERE in the network your unit gets the depth reading from, and Are you positive it wouldn't default to the other transducer for that data? I will be at my boat tomorrow and will look into this further then get back to the forum.
Edd

Post by Edd »

http://vid258.photobucket.com/albums/hh ... ydyx27.mp4

If this short video remains jerky, send me a cell# and I will text it to you. You can also here the audio on the original.
But you can see how the depth goes away when I put the unit into chart mode. As I said this could be a work-a-round for the OP.