fortrex trolling motor problems

basstard1974

fortrex trolling motor problems

Post by basstard1974 »

i have a few year old minnkota fortrex 80, the last couple times ive used it miday it will start going to minimum power at any speed, speed control wont work, i just got new optima blue tops it worked great for a half day then starting acting up again, minnkota guy said if the speed regulator went out it run at top speed, is it battery charger? or trolling motor speed regulator unit?
anyone? bueller?
fishwithron

Re: fortrex trolling motor problems

Post by fishwithron »

Had a problem on my fortex where no speed control as it stayed on low even when adjusting the knob. Problem was the control knob connecting to the shaft a plastic piece had broke where it connects. Replace new knob.
basstard1974

Post by basstard1974 »

thanks for the reply fishwithron, i will check that out, hopefully that is the issue as it seems it would be? at least i got myself new batteries out of the deal?
anyone else have this issue?
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

It is easy to check the control knob, turn the knob if it stops when you turn it up and turn it down it is not the knob.
Plug your battery charger in overnight and take it to someone that has a load tester and check the batteries that will tell you if the charger is working and or you have a bad battery. Even though you just replaced the batteries you may have got a bad one from the factory.
In my experience if you don't have control over the speed on a Minn Kota it is the control board. The control board is the brains of the unit, the whole board has to be replaced.
PS there is no such thing as a speed regulator everything is built into the control board.
basstard1974

Post by basstard1974 »

i took the speed control knob off and turned the little blue knob that the big foot knob connects to and the speed control of motor works fine, then i put the big knob back in it it works fine, nothing is broken or too worn where they connect, im not sure whats going on, but i will probly just get a new control board to make sure if its not too expensive?