Question for ranger guys

Ain

Question for ranger guys

Post by Ain »

My uncles has a 2003 ranger 521vx with a 2003 225 optimax with a tempest 25p prop can't tach more then 5400 full trim hole shot is **** and so is too end what are you guys running for a prop??? Fury or tempest and what pitch???
zoom

Re: Question for ranger guys

Post by zoom »

The 25 Tempest prop should run fine. I would start with your motor height. I am running a 25" Bravo Xs on mine but have a Tempest 25 as my spare. The Bravo on my boat likes motor height 2" higher than the Tempest. Both these props run about the same with correct motor height but prefer the Bravo as it has better overall performance. If you are in an high elevation area you will need to go down a pitch or 2.
zoom

Post by zoom »

Also forgot to add the VX series Rangers do not run there best at full trim! There is a sweet spot and I would say it is around 65 to 75 percent of full trim depending on prop.

Good luck!
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

225hp getting 5400 rpm w/ a 25p tempest........... There is something wrong... Either your motor height is wrong, the prop needs work or you need to get your motor checked out... either way make sure you go through everything.

I never ran a tempest on my 225hp optimax, but I did run a 26p trophy and got 5800-5900 rpm. WOT the best I hit was 83mph running solo on a cool morning.

My Champion had a 200hp opti.. I ran both 26p and 25p tempest. I also ran a Fury 25p. The 25p tempest I had plenty of lift, hit 5800 rpm at 68mph.

I am not a expert just speaking from my previous experience.
Diesel Guy

Post by Diesel Guy »

Stay away from the Fury. You may need to run a 24 Tempest, especially if the boat is overly full of gear or your bigger guys.
Ike

Post by Ike »

There are three holes on the cylinder of the prop, if the rubber garments are in try taking them out if they're not in put them in and try it. It might be that simple. 25 tempest should be the right prop for the lower elevations.