Punchin weights

Whoopbass

Punchin weights

Post by Whoopbass »

What is the best weight or weight system to get through that green broad leafed stuff that grows on the delta. It stands anywhere from 1-2 ft high. Yesterday all I had was a 1 oz punch rig and I only got through the stuff about 1 out of every 5 pitches. I would toss it very high into the air and let it come crashing down. I could hear went it would pop through. If it didn't go through no amount of wiggling would get it to drop.

What weight are you guys using? Would a Miller punch weight be better?
DDG

Re: Punchin weights

Post by DDG »

What is the best weight or weight system to get through that green broad leafed stuff that grows on the delta. It stands anywhere from 1-2 ft high. Yesterday all I had was a 1 oz punch rig and I only got through the stuff about 1 out of every 5 pitches. I would toss it very high into the air and let it come crashing down. I could hear went it would pop through. If it didn't go through no amount of wiggling would get it to drop.

What weight are you guys using? Would a Miller punch weight be better?[/quote]

If you have the patience just get an assortment of weights over two oz and fish till you get the consistency to break through to get bit Or just stick to a 2oz weight CAUSE HONESTLY A 2oz always gets it done in the delta. Maybe think about trying the Picasso metal weights sometimes I stick to the one oz but because it's bulkier then the tungsten it gets through. However I believe the lighter the weight the better but you gotta find what works for you in the thick of it. Hope that helps
-DDG
image.jpeg
[quote="Whoopbass"]
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

1 to 1.5 oz Reins is usually what I throw.

Some stuff is just too thick to punch. Also, if its that tight how are you planning on getting a 7 out of it? Just food for thought. ....
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Guess I will go with 1.5 oz since I can buy them locally and go up from there. Tungsten weights are friggin expensive so I didn't want to experiment too much. I doubt the Miller weights would work for this stuff. This stuff is almost too thick too punch but there is fish under it. I yanked a 4.25 out from it yesterday without any issues so getting em out is not the problem the problem is getting your bait in. Thanks
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

You know what I'm gonna say and use. A Miller Punchin Weight. If you learn how, it just works better.
As with any punchin weight there is a learning period of all items involved in it's use. Line,stops,weight,hook,bait,scent,rod,reel,knot. I spoke with a lot of guy's about baits and weights and getting them to penetrate the thick stuff. The most common answer was, "If I cant get it through then I just move on". That's exactly where I want to fish. If you don't learn how you will not use any of them,so the best advise I can give you is to fish with as many guys as possible, stay on the non boater side, keep asking on here and absorb as much info as you can. Some boaters & guides on the Delta can help a tremendous amount and save you a lot of time experimenting on your end. They have developed techniques that are great and proven to work in the thick stuff so your $ will be well spent. Keep catchin em.
Danny Miller
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Can you get a punching weight down through the primrose mats? They go down 3-4'. And, if you do, can you get a bass back up through it?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Danny.....I bought a couple weights off your site. I watched the video Ca. delta down under. Do you have a diagram on how to rig your weight drop shot style?
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

[quote="Whoopbass"]Danny.....I bought a couple weights off your site. I watched the video Ca. delta down under. Do you have a diagram on how to rig your weight drop shot style?
It's not a style that I do very often. Some use a small split ring and some cut a hook eye from a cheap hook to use at the weights ball mill area. I use the hook eye. Then add a B stopper above.
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

mark poulson wrote:Can you get a punching weight down through the primrose mats? They go down 3-4'. And, if you do, can you get a bass back up through it?
It can be hard to get the fish out of a lot of thick, but I still prefer to get the bite first. That's the fun part.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

In my previous post I made the comment that I didn't think a Miller weight would work for what I was trying to punch. I was WRONG so I though I would update this thread.
I ordered a couple 1.5 oz tungsten weights from Danny Miller the other day and was able to give them a try yesterday. I was in Mildred island and the breeze died down and it started getting hot. The bite seemed to die off so I went over to a mat and picked up my punchin rod. I still had my 1 oz weight from last trip tied on and was having trouble penetrating this stuff. I cut that weight off and tied on the Miller. With a lot less effort it was going through. If the vegetation was real thick I could cast the rig into the air and it would go through like a dart. There was some areas of vegetation nothing was going through. The Miller weight was also easier to pull back through the vegetation and it would come back clean of weeds most of the time. The punch bite should be in full swing in a couple weeks and I can't wait now that I have got a punch rig that I can get through this stuff.
Here's a pic of my 2 lb punch bass from yesterday. Not big but bigger fish will come when the weather gets hotter.
Attachments
IMG_20160522_122049.jpg
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Stick with it. A big bite is just 1 flip away...
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
cking

Post by cking »

River2Sea Trash Bomb 1.5oz is in my opinion the best!