Square bill rod recommendations

Freefall

Square bill rod recommendations

Post by Freefall »

I desperately need a square bill rod and thought I'd touch base with you guys and see what you recommended.

I was considering the Powell 3D 6104CB. Does anyone own this rod?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
finesseguy

Re: Square bill rod recommendations

Post by finesseguy »

Powell 3D 705CB
DDG

Post by DDG »

even the powell diesel 705 cb is a great option. the 6' is good but it is pretty light you might want more of a power house for fishing the delta.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

finesseguy wrote:Powell 3D 705CB
I considered the 705 but my concern was how stiff the tip and action is for running 1.5s or even 2.5s.

I have a 755cb and that thing is hefty. I can't accurately cast 2.5s because of how stiff it is. It doesnt load up on the cast. The plus side is that it's an amazing chatterbait & whopper plopper rod.

Do you have the 705?

If so does it load up and cast accurately?

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Unless you are really locked in on getting a Powell, you might also want to consider the Dobyns 705CB Glass
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

I'm not locked on a particular brand.

That said my limit is $150. I don't see a CB in the Savvy line. Maybe I'll take a look at the fury.

finesseguy

Post by finesseguy »

I do have the 3D 705CB and it's great for squarebills in cover! I also throw chatterbaits and whopper plopper 90s on it!
Dkfishin247

Post by Dkfishin247 »

Check out the TFO Gary Loomis Tactical Cranking Rod 7' Medium. They are awesome rods perfect for a 1.5 but can handle a 2.5 also. I love the tactical guides on them, they are super lightweight, and the guys and gals at Temple Fork have great customer service can't say enough about them! Plus they have a Lifetime warranty. Whatever you choose I hope you find a perfect rod for you because ya just can't beat a squarebill gotta love em!
Five Alive.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Freefall wrote:I'm not locked on a particular brand.

That said my limit is $150. I don't see a CB in the Savvy line. Maybe I'll take a look at the fury.
Dobyns Fury FR 705CB

FR 705CB / 7'0" / $109.99
Details / Videos / Reviews
Description: 7' 1pc. 8-17lb, 1/4-1oz, Med/Hvy Mod-Fast Action
Techniques: Crankbaits / Jerkbaits / Lipless Rattlebaits / LV500 / Sammys / Staycee 90
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Fury 705. Also Works well for ripbaits and fluke. Great price!
Dobyns Rods
Gotch

Post by Gotch »

I use the iRod Genesis II 7' Gabe's Rip Rap Special. It's a composite glass/graphite blended rod with a soft tip, plenty of backbone and is very light weight. It has plenty of give to not rip treble hooks out but also plenty of backbone to move fish away from cover. Goes for $149.99. I've been very pleased with mine. I use Dobyns rods for nearly everything else but liked the iRod Gabe's rod best for squarebill applications.
deltadood24

Post by deltadood24 »

Dobyns 7'6'' Randy Macabee crank is by far the best stick I've used for a crankbait. I'd recommend it all day long just gonna be above your 150 price range.
K_Lincomfelt

Post by K_Lincomfelt »

I have been using a loomis IMX 853 and a loomis mossyback 853 for my squarebills on the delta. Check the classifieds Darius has some for sell the imx for 150 and a mossy for 125 which is a steal. plus you could use them for a couple other applications. They feel and handle a bit different but I like them both.
hswarts

Post by hswarts »

Dobyns 705 CB, Champion or Fury series. Fantastic rods. :D
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

take a look at the Cousins rods FMB704 pt or the 7104. they are in your price range and are made in america with premium components. Cousins tackle .com
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

At the sake of redundancy...Dobyns 705 Champ or Fury...and the Fury is in your price range.