Best Drop Shot Rod

Chad Sweitzer

Best Drop Shot Rod

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

My 6'8" Crucial just broke at the tip, now that Shimano doesn't warranty their new brittle rods, I'm in the market. I want a lighter spinning rod but it needs to be multi-purpose, I've fished 3.8 keitechs, tubes, drop shot(of course), senkos and light Texas rigs on it. I loved the extra fast action and my next rod would need a very fast action. Price really doesn't matter to me but I couldn't spend over $400 on it, lifetime or a lower priced replacement warranty is a must!!!! Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Chad
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Gary Dobyns

Re: Best Drop Shot Rod

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Dobyns Rods has lots of options from 6'8 to 7'4" and all in between. If you want to use the rod for all the techniques you listed, look at our spinning rods in 3 power.

Each series varies in materials and components but all have 3 power spinning. You can always call us at 530-671-1989 and we can discuss the models and offer advice. THX!!!!!
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

+1 on the Dobyns...I have two Savvy Series SS702SF M/L spinning rods that I use for dropshotting, also light shakeyhead and wacky finesse presentations. Like Gary said though, to cover all your techniques you should move up to a three-power rod
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
TheFLY

Re: Best Drop Shot Rod (A Few More Ideas)

Post by TheFLY »

Hi Chad,

Gary is right, you may want a 703 or 743 spinning rod from Dobyns if you want to do all of those things listed. I'd personally get the 742 Champion Extreme if I was just going to get one rod (as explained below). Both the 703 and 743 are great rods and really, really handle the 5 or 6 inch Senkos well. They are also great for the 3.8 inch Keitechs on 3/16 or 1/4 oz heads.

But if you really want to true dropshot rod, I think it is tough to beat a 702 spinning rod. It is so light and sensitive that you will fall in love with it for 3/16 oz or lighter dart heads, wacky rigged worms or 4 inch Senkos and it is an awesome dropshot rod. They also make a 701 spinning ... but that is super light and probably too light for the other applications you want to fish. If you were to get a 701, I'd then recommend you get 3 rods. I use my 701 for light drop shotting, weightless worms, and Neko rigs. I never use it for Senkos.

So much of this is preference. I've noticed that Gary tends to prefer higher power rods than I do on similar applications. And because you stated that you used your dropshot rod for Senkos in your post, I'd bet you also may not like a stiffer than average rod (hence a 702 as opposed to a 703).

Potential solution, 2 Rods for less than $400:

If you are willing to spend up to $400, I'd suggest a 703 Champion Spinning rod for all of your heavier spinning uses and a 702 spinning rod for your dropshot needs. If you get a 702 Champion ... you'll be up at $500 so maybe go with the new Fury rod for your dropshot rod. They are amazing rods and super durable. They retail for $110. And you will find it performs much more like a $200 rod.

So that would be this rod for dropshot and lighter spinning needs: http://dobynsrods.com/rod/fr-702sf/

And then this one for your Senkos and heavier Keitechs: http://dobynsrods.com/rod/703sf/ for $250.

Hence you would have two awesome rods for under $400 warrantied for LIFE. http://dobynsrods.com/warranty/

The only tweak you may want to make to my suggestion would be to switch your rod choices based on how much you fish one application over the other. I recommended you get the 703 Champion (as I love that rod) and you can then use it to fish Senkos, flukes, light jigs and 1/4 oz or heavier dart heads. But, if you find yourself dropshotting, throwing lighter dart heads, or split shotting more, perhaps you reverse my suggestion and get the cheaper Fury in the 703 and more expensive Champion in the 702. That'll really be driven by how much you fish the heavier vs lighter spinning applications.

One Rod Solution (not ideal but will work just fine): http://dobynsrods.com/rod/dx-742sf/

The 742 Champion Extreme is my single favorite spinning rod. And because it is a little more powerful than the 702, it can do just about everything. It will cost you $350 but it is phenomenal. However, I personally feel like it is not quite enough rod for 5 and 6 inch nail weighted Senkos and it is a little too much rod for most drop shotting. So, yeah, you can use it for all things if you want one amazing rod. But just know that you will be a tiny bit underpowered on Senkos and a wee bit overpowered on the dropshot.

If it were my choice and I'd get the 2 rods for $360. Yes, the Extreme is my favorite rod, but the Fury and Champions are so dang good, you won't notice hardly any drop off and you'll have rods that are better suited to your specific applications.

Tight lines,
Craig
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Dobyns 702SF Fury for $109 you can not go wrong with this rod.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Thank you for the replies! I already have a 7' medium rod for heavier spinning applications so I think the 702 champion will be the best for me. I love my Champion Extreme, but I can't justify $350 when I broke a $190 rod. Thanks again for making the decision alot easier! I love the two rod option! I just already have the 703!!!
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
mm

Post by mm »

you will love the 702 champion.
I have two and use both for a variety of things.
dropshot my azz off with it. shallow,deep,light or heavy it is fine.
if you do plan on using braid for dropshotting,maybe look at the 701 with the softer tip.
both will get it done.
Jason Borofka

Post by Jason Borofka »

702 Champion!! Dropping the mike now! :lol: