Increasing the daily bag limit for bass fishing in the Delta

WB Staff

Increasing the daily bag limit for bass fishing in the Delta

Post by WB Staff »

Increasing the daily bag limit for bass fishing in the Delta and reducing the fish size limit could go a long way to reducing the decline of endangered salmon and smelt while saving water for urban, farm and other environmental uses.

A broad statewide coalition of water users — ranging from the massive Metropolitan Water District of Southern California to associations representing smaller irrigation districts in and around the Delta along with farming and business groups — are petitioning the California Fish and Game Commission to modify fishing rules to address the predation of endangered Chinook salmon, Central Valley steelhead, and Delta smelt by non-native predator species.
The requested fishing regulation changes are as follows:

BLACK BASS: Decrease the size limit from 12 inches to 8 inches while increasing the daily bag limit from 5 fish to 10 fish.

STRIPED BASS: Decrease the size limit from 18 inches to 12 inches while increasing the daily bag limit from 2 fish to 6 fish.

Read the rest: http://www.mantecabulletin.com/section/ ... le/135501/
mark poulson

Re: Increasing the daily bag limit for bass fishing in the Delta

Post by mark poulson »

I call bologna!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

If you are serious about saving smelt and salmon, you can't ignore the obvious.
Bill Roberts

Post by Bill Roberts »

You guys better read what I posted a while back.
Washington was thinking along the same lines, then just took all limits off the Bass and people were slaughtering bass during the spawn. All in the name of protecting native fish.

Thx Bill
Sponsors:
Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Nixon's Marine, Yakima Bait Co.
Abu Garcia
jimmyG

Post by jimmyG »

All the coalition of water users mentioned in this article are the ones responsible for the loss of native fish species also mentioned in this article. There is only so much water coming down from the Sierra's.

I live in Sacramento, approximately a quarter mile from the American River. I have fished this river for the past 50 years for salmon, stealhead, american shad, and stripers. There was always water for recreationist, fisherman and fish. We all lived in perfect harmony until the 'users' wanted more.

Then came the 'coalition of water users' that have reduced the American River to the American Creek. The water releases from Folsom Lake Dam flows into Nimbus Lake which then fills the Central Valley Aqueduct. This aqueduct is kept at maximum capacity all year as seen on the depth gauges along it's canal. Can anyone guess what the evaporation rate of water is in a concrete river running to central Cali? There is not enough cold water left for the Nimbus Fish Hatchery, which is below Nimbus Dam, to use during the salmon and steelhead spawn time. The production rate of the hatchery has declined significantly over the past 10 years. The hatchery is responsible for a large part of the population of salmon found on the west coast.

The users are the abusers, not the fish Do away with pumps and tunnels, not fish.

In closing of my rant, big money users, who donate to politicians, will win. That's why Cali moved from 7th to 6th largest economy in the world, on the backs of northern Californians. I hate grapes. Put the blame where it belongs though, not on the fish.
DDG

Post by DDG »

jimmyG wrote:All the coalition of water users mentioned in this article are the ones responsible for the loss of native fish species also mentioned in this article. There is only so much water coming down from the Sierra's.

I live in Sacramento, approximately a quarter mile from the American River. I have fished this river for the past 50 years for salmon, stealhead, american shad, and stripers. There was always water for recreationist, fisherman and fish. We all lived in perfect harmony until the 'users' wanted more.

Then came the 'coalition of water users' that have reduced the American River to the American Creek. The water releases from Folsom Lake Dam flows into Nimbus Lake which then fills the Central Valley Aqueduct. This aqueduct is kept at maximum capacity all year as seen on the depth gauges along it's canal. Can anyone guess what the evaporation rate of water is in a concrete river running to central Cali? There is not enough cold water left for the Nimbus Fish Hatchery, which is below Nimbus Dam, to use during the salmon and steelhead spawn time. The production rate of the hatchery has declined significantly over the past 10 years. The hatchery is responsible for a large part of the population of salmon found on the west coast.

The users are the abusers, not the fish Do away with pumps and tunnels, not fish.

In closing of my rant, big money users, who donate to politicians, will win. That's why Cali moved from 7th to 6th largest economy in the world, on the backs of northern Californians. I hate grapes. Put the blame where it belongs though, not on the fish.
+1 !
DDG

Post by DDG »

BTW Have you all forgotten what is happening on the Columbia River. That smallmouth fishery is depleting as we speak. Only a matter of time if nothing is done.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

So the Manteca Bulletin requires payment to post a reply. REALLY?

Nowhere does the truth come out that there is a direct result in loss of salmon after the dams were built and water sent south. They conveniently missed that.

Morgan
Goin'Ike

Post by Goin'Ike »

Largemouth Bass :wink:
Please practice catch and release
***C.P.R***
C.atch
P.icture
R.elease