Clear Lake Fish Die Off This Weekend

WB Staff

Clear Lake Fish Die Off This Weekend

Post by WB Staff »

From Lake County News

LAKEPORT, Calif. – Warm water, lack of oxygen and a heavy biomass load in Clear Lake are among the factors that local and state officials believe are behind a fish die-off in the Lakeport area that occurred over the weekend.

Melanie Pressley, who lives on the lake in the north Lakeport area, said the lake looked good on Saturday night, but when she got up Sunday, she saw hundreds of dead fish on the water.

She said there was a wide variety of fish involved in the die-off – “big, small, medium, anything in between.”

Pressley said that in the 10 years she has lived at her current residence in Lakeport, she's never seen such a die-off, although they're not uncommon on the lake.

“I've heard of it, I've never seen it in a big mass like this,” she said.

Carolyn Ruttan of Lake County Water Resources said she got a report of the die-off on Sunday. She confirmed Pressley's statement that all types of fish were involved.

The area where the die-off occurred starts at Berger Bay, which Ruttan said is the midpoint between north and south Lakeport on the eastern side of Clear Lake, and moves south along the southern part of the lake's upper arm.

“In my opinion, it's low oxygen,” Ruttan said of the die-off's cause.

Read the rest: http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=197
Rich hamilton

Re: Clear Lake Fish Die Off This Weekend

Post by Rich hamilton »

nm
Last edited by Rich hamilton on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
scubaman

Post by scubaman »

Blame it low oxygen and warm water....maybe if you Lake County idiots would stop killing the weeds there would be oxygen in water....it is simple...kill weeds...they decay....produce ammonia and kill fill...ah duhhhhh
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

There are a fraction of the weeds that were there in early June. The lake also has a strange color to it now. Still fishing is excellent 60-70 fish days with numerous 5-6 pound fish. Lots of fun guys!!
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

scubaman wrote:Blame it low oxygen and warm water....maybe if you Lake County idiots would stop killing the weeds there would be oxygen in water....it is simple...kill weeds...they decay....produce ammonia and kill fill...ah duhhhhh
As the weather warms globally, this will be a more and more common occurance.
If, indeed, aquatic vegetation would increase oxygen levels, and actually cool the water by providing shade with their canopys, maybe the lake's management needs to reconsider weed removal, or face the prospect of a rotting lake in the future.
Is there a correlation between areas of algae bloom, and areas of weed abatement?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

mark poulson wrote:
scubaman wrote:Blame it low oxygen and warm water....maybe if you Lake County idiots would stop killing the weeds there would be oxygen in water....it is simple...kill weeds...they decay....produce ammonia and kill fill...ah duhhhhh
As the weather warms globally, this will be a more and more common occurance.
If, indeed, aquatic vegetation would increase oxygen levels, and actually cool the water by providing shade with their canopys, maybe the lake's management needs to reconsider weed removal, or face the prospect of a rotting lake in the future.
Is there a correlation between areas of algae bloom, and areas of weed abatement?
"As the weather warms globally, this will be a more and more common occurance" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have attached a table that refutes you Gore-esque claim, Mark. Do us all a favor and try doing some research before you spout your global warming BS--the vast majority of extreme high temperatures were in the 40's-70's and everywhere in between. The facts don't exactly line up with a "global warming narrative" for Lakeport or the lake itself.
Attachments
Lakeport Temp Average.JPG
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Andy,
I do not know about Clear Lake, specifically.
But I do know that our world is warming, and fast.
The last ten years have been the warmest on record, and each has been warmer than the last.
There is no use sticking our heads in the sand and wishing it weren't so. It is, and the only question that is left is whether we deal with it now, or let companies who profit from denying it lead us over the cliff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... ative_1_na

It's not just me saying it. The vast majority of climate scientists throughout the world are saying it.
Our Defense Department is planning for it, and it's consequences.
I think we, as fishermen who rely on water and climate for our passion, should be the most aware, and the loudest voice in demanding that our government do something about it before it's too late.
We owe to our kids, and our grand kids.
CLEAN AND DRY
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

mark poulson wrote:Andy,
The last ten years have been the warmest on record, and each has been warmer than the last.
There is no use sticking our heads in the sand and wishing it weren't so. It is, and the only question that is left is whether we deal with it now, or let companies who profit from denying it lead us over the cliff.

It's not just me saying it. The vast majority of climate scientists throughout the world are saying it.
I think we, as fishermen who rely on water and climate for our passion, should be the most aware, and the loudest voice in demanding that our government do something about it before it's too late.

You post an article, I'll post an article. You failed, however to review the FACTS that don't lie in the attachment of my last post. Your claims are once again, false--but that is no surprise as you appear to be a mass-media consuming drone.

Keep doing your part, Mark. I hope you're out there kayaking instead of actually using a combustion powered bass boat, as anything less than that would be hypocritical of someone who believes the lies that you spout.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor ... 25e2e023c6
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Andy,
I don't have any axe to grind, other than to keep the Delta healthy, and our world healthy.
CLEAN AND DRY
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

can you guys wait for the next post ,
I am running out of popcorn !!!!!

I believe global warming as much as I believe Hillary doesn't lie and that Bill did not have sex with Monica.

As for the fish in Clear Lake , it's probably a combination of multiple scenarios , low oxygen , weed abatement and weather . A number of years ago , Ray Scott , Founder of BASS , had his original "pond" stocked with awesome bass and in one day ----due to extreme hot weather , they all went belly up . A fisheries biologist determined that due to extreme hot weather , zero wind and the larger than normal amount of bass in his "pond" , the oxygen content could support all the fish he had in this "pond " .All the bass died in one night .
From all the recent posts about crazy good fishing this year , do you think the larger than average numbers of bass could be affecting this ?
Tight lines ,
Robb
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

All of the dead fish that I saw today from one end of the lake to the other were around weeds that had been sprayed. Coincidence? I think not! I caught a few donkeys out of the rare fresh weeds that somehow were spared.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

There's what politicians, activists and journalists say about the climate.

And then there's what MIT climatologists say.

https://www.facebook.com/prageru/videos ... 471040541/
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

nm
Last edited by Rich hamilton on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Otay Michael wrote:There's what politicians, activists and journalists say about the climate.

And then there's what MIT climatologists say.

https://www.facebook.com/prageru/videos ... 471040541/
Correction, that's what one person (reportedly funded by the fossil fuel industry) says. Over 95% of real climate scientists (the scientists who actually work in the field) accept the view of anthropogenic climate change.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

But don't take my word for it, why don't you do a real search of the peer reviewed scientific literature.
The search engine http://www.pubmed.com covers most legitimate peer reviewed scientific journals. Do a search of "climate change" or "global warming" and come back and report how many journal articles support the view that man made climate change is real and how many don't.
Last edited by Jeff C. on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Andy Lippert wrote:

You post an article, I'll post an article. You failed, however to review the FACTS that don't lie in the attachment of my last post. Your claims are once again, false--but that is no surprise as you appear to be a mass-media consuming drone.

Keep doing your part, Mark. I hope you're out there kayaking instead of actually using a combustion powered bass boat, as anything less than that would be hypocritical of someone who believes the lies that you spout.

Sorry Andy, but if anything the figure posted in the article (written by a non scientist by the way) actually confirms the scientific consensus that global climate change is real. Please look at that figure and report whether it indicates that the temperature trend is rising or falling over the period indicated.

But don't take my word for it. Do a search of the scientific literature (www.pubmed.com) and come back and report to all of us how many legitimate peer-reviewed journal articles have been published in the last year indicating that global warming is a real phenomenon and how many dispute it.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Andy Lippert wrote:

THANK YOU ANDY!
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

This has been going on all late spring and summer. Follow the spray boats! No one will admit it, and what they do not tell you is that the material they are putting in the lake is specifically designed to eliminate the oxygen in the water in order to kill the weeds.

So, high temps equates to low oxygen levels, add in the pellets being sprayed and bingo.....I do not think it is a coincidence, and I am not alone. Time will tell!

Furthermore, I personally would not put much credence in any of the local reports! Just my opinion.....
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

The people that claim weed spraying is not the cause ! are the ones making $$ off it !... I am shure Lake co. board of supervisors ' all the way down to the airboat crews the spray the pellets are lining the pockets with tax $$ " and laughing all the way to the bank !
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

DanIsaac wrote:This has been going on all late spring and summer. Follow the spray boats! No one will admit it, and what they do not tell you is that the material they are putting in the lake is specifically designed to eliminate the oxygen in the water in order to kill the weeds.

So, high temps equates to low oxygen levels, add in the pellets being sprayed and bingo.....I do not think it is a coincidence, and I am not alone. Time will tell!

Furthermore, I personally would not put much credence in any of the local reports! Just my opinion.....
Dan,
What part of my first post was wrong?

"If, indeed, aquatic vegetation would increase oxygen levels, and actually cool the water by providing shade with their canopys, maybe the lake's management needs to reconsider weed removal, or face the prospect of a rotting lake in the future.
Is there a correlation between areas of algae bloom, and areas of weed abatement?"
CLEAN AND DRY
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Last edited by DanIsaac on Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Thank you no thank you.....next thing you know a person will not be able to own a shiny boat as it may add to global warming! Not sure what it is? Must be global warming! NOT, and NO Iwill not debate it.....Hilary will fix it, so vote for her!

Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

nm
Last edited by Rich hamilton on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
coyote268

Post by coyote268 »

Lets cut the BS, There has been no spraying and I don't care who the know it all's say there has been. The air boats are not spraying they are looking for Hydrilla. The reason they are throwing hooks is to see if they can snag anything that looks like it so it can be treated with PELETS at the spot. To spray you need to get a permit and none have been issued. Before you start mouthing off you might want to check out the actual facts.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

coyote268 wrote:Lets cut the BS, There has been no spraying and I don't care who the know it all's say there has been. The air boats are not spraying they are looking for Hydrilla. The reason they are throwing hooks is to see if they can snag anything that looks like it so it can be treated with PELETS at the spot. To spray you need to get a permit and none have been issued. Before you start mouthing off you might want to check out the actual facts.
Coyote,
What is the difference between spraying herbicide and dispensing it in pellet form? Don't they both do the same thing?
CLEAN AND DRY
coyote268

Post by coyote268 »

Not really. The pellets don't target a large area like spraying does, but that's beside the point. No Hydrilla has be discovered this year so no pellets or spraying has happened. The State runs the Hydrilla abatement program and Lake County really doesn't have anything to say what the state does. Someone said that large fish were killed which is also not true. They had the brains to move out of the shallow water. Most of the mortality's were younger fish Etc. I might add that I would be one of the first ones to condemn spraying if it created a fish kill. I can understand the concern but lets get the facts straight instead of pointing the finger in the wrong direction.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Really? Then we were just imagining the containers going out full and apparently coming in empty later in the day? I dont think so.....there are a number of anglers who have witnessed the pelleting......ain't buyin it!

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Maybe I'm just naive, or maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't this way, but, to me, it's a damn shame when we can't even trust what our own government says and does.
There's far too much money changing hands behind the scenes, and that is just not right.
How else can you explain hunting decisions that are bad for the animals, like how our deer herds are managed, or, more accurately, allowed to starve from overpopulation because does are sacred?
And how in the world do you explain how taking more water out of a freshwater system, like the Delta, actually helps that system?
Between PETA and Westlands, some politicians have to have been bought off with campaign money, big time, for these wrong headed management policies to be in place. I know the biologists at DFW (G) would never have come up with them if they were given the chance to develop policy, and only enforce them because they have to, by law.
It's sad, and it's pitiful.
CLEAN AND DRY
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

nm
Last edited by Rich hamilton on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

They have been spraying all year . A friend just called said at least 6 boats spraying today.
I have witnesses that saw boats spraying pellets in the area that the die off was a couple days before the die off.
WE NEED TO REGULATE THIS BETTER!!!!!
Dave
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

I will give you a even worse problem. A couple of years ago one of the guides saw a spray boat out in the middle stopped. He approached them and witnessed them dumping their barrel of chemicals over the side . He asked them about it and they told him they have to use up the weedkiller or they wont get their allotment for next year.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Rich hamilton wrote:117 private permits issued this year. They have expired. bulk of spraying is done prior to massive grass growth.(they spray early spring) Permits are for contractors who spray dock areas of homeowners.

Again take the time to call or read what actually happens. Having said that, rule enforcement (ohh let me pull over someone is doing ninety in my rear view mirror) Is what needs to be done and enforced.

The best thing we can do is make phone calls to the people linked in previous posts. Fighting each other just leaves us bloody and losers.
Rich,

Will all due respect. We've had multiple conversations with those you list and it was like talking to statues.
Calling this "normal" is idiotic plain and simple, and if you have ever had any interaction with these Depts. you would know better than to rely upon for good information. Do you really think that an expired permit would stop someone around here from spraying, pellets or otherwise? The truth is hard to come by around here, it's all special interest!

As Dave has stated, multiple people and especially some of the local guides have seen this for some time, and just for the record, the people you list could care less about the fish in this lake, plain and simple, and while it may come across as fighting to some, it's not intended that way from my end.

This can no longer continue so making it public was the only option left.....IMHO CYA should be the new logo!

Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Here is a thought , if these guys are spraying , and the area's they are spraying are specific to permits , then someone should be taking pictures to make sure they are doing it legally . Catch these people breaking the law and then see how fast you can bring down the legal system and fines .
Second question , how many permits are allowed to spray ? I can't believe it's unlimited .
Lastly , my son moved to Texas last fall , I read a website called TFF ( texas fishing forums .com ) . That website has example blogs on entire lakes devastated by Government agencies completely wiping out bass populations by either spraying weeds , or introducing grass carp to control weeds around homeowners docks . It would be scary to think Clear Lake could end up the same.
Tight lines ,
Robb
WRB

Post by WRB »

California recorded weather history goes back about 165 years, a snap shot in the history of our weather. Mega droughts are a part of California history that date back to 850 to 1090 period of 240 years the longest known severe drought of less than 4" annual rain fall. The second longest drought period was 180 years between 1140 to 1320 repeating the earlier drought cycle. Who do we blame for those droughts?
Most of our life time we have been in a wet cycle, now maybe entering another long drought period and must all work together because non of us are to blame, it's the climate we have chosen to live in.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Tom,
I hear what you're saying about historic droughts.
Whether we're in one now or not, the fact remains that low oxygen levels are creating algae blooms and fish die offs.
If I lived on a lake with that scenario, I'd think long and hard before I'd do any weed abatement that might cause more algae blooms, and make my lake unusable. That can't be good for property values.
And I'm guessing that water won't be fit for drinking, so it's a double edged sword.
Don't the homeowners up at Clear Lake understand the relationship between aquatic weeds, oxygen levels, and algae blooms?
CLEAN AND DRY
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

nm
Last edited by Rich hamilton on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rich hamilton wrote:Thanks for the responses, I have called Josh the local biologist currently waiting for returned phone calls. I actually think the world of you folks taking a stance and being frustrated about people who are doing this spraying. I am simply trying to get the facts then documenting and preparing to do something about it.

I will be their worst nightmare once I get the facts correct. Somebody with the time and resources is what it will take to bring awareness to everyone. God willing I have time and resources.

If they can take the time to worry about quagga mussels then they sure can take the time to keep idiots from spraying all the grass in the lake.

Working together we can beat this. Richie Rich
Amen!
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Spraying chemicals is the last thing Clear Lake needs, the decaying aquatic growth depletes dissolved oxygen. Clear Lake needs state of the art aeration systems throughout the lake basin wherever wind doesn't generate white caps to oxygenate the water.
Clear Lake being the largest natural lake in California should have state funding to help manage this unique ecosystem.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:Spraying chemicals is the last thing Clear Lake needs, the decaying aquatic growth depletes dissolved oxygen. Clear Lake needs state of the art aeration systems throughout the lake basin wherever wind doesn't generate white caps to oxygenate the water.
Clear Lake being the largest natural lake in California should have state funding to help manage this unique ecosystem.
Tom
Agree!!!
CLEAN AND DRY
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

I can't wrap my head around why the hydrilla has been eradicated everywhere in the south end of the lake. After spending the last week on Clearlake, there didn't look like there was a single area in the south end of the lake that had been spared. All that was left is a few brown stalks here and there. I saw the air boat finishing off what was left in the Riviera area in the middle of last week. Why do they need to eliminate everything? They must be putting massive amounts of pellets in the lake. It's amazing there aren't dead fish everywhere. All of the algae that is no longer filtered ends up in Clearlake Oaks and elsewhere on the southwest end. I'd be really upset if I had a place in Clearlake Oaks. Does anyone else think this is excessive?
Rob

Post by Rob »

So no spraying is going on, yet the grass is all but dead in the middle of a very hot summer? That just doesn't compute....at all. And as for the pellets, you don't think the wind and natural currents don't move the water around? Look at the delta, you can have pellets/spray a mile away and in a month the grass is dying in a whole other area according to the tide and current. Seen it for some yrs now, you got healthy grass in an area, but a month later it's half of what it was and you can't run a crank through it without pulling it all up. Someone/lots of people doing something in both places. Blue stoning Frank's for navigation purposes was a crock of shat, no idiot in their right mind with a big boat belongs in there and if they do they get what they get and it ain't grass....
Charles

Post by Charles »

If they can take the time to worry about quagga mussels then they sure can take the time to keep idiots from spraying all the grass in the lake.

Hahahahah, they don't care about the mussels one bit. Just pay $10 a month and launch your boat. They should just call it a $10 monthly launch permit.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

Charles wrote:If they can take the time to worry about quagga mussels then they sure can take the time to keep idiots from spraying all the grass in the lake.

Hahahahah, they don't care about the mussels one bit. Just pay $10 a month and launch your boat. They should just call it a $10 monthly launch permit.
The quagga inspection was a joke for me on August 1st. They took my word that I had a band from a non-quagga lake. I did, but they never saw it and they were too lazy to do the inspection. They ended up giving me a sticker without an inspection. I felt let down that my boat wasn't fingered and molested like the lakes in SoCal. :lol:
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

nm
Last edited by Rich hamilton on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rich,
Thanks for the link.
The last paragraph sums up what it wrong with spraying/pelleting for weeds:
"Large-scale loss of algae or plants can deplete oxygen in much the same way. This can be a problem in lakes where algicides or herbicides are used to eliminate unwanted vegetation. If algae or aquatic plants die quickly and sink to the bottom, decomposition increases, accelerating oxygen consumption, and a fish kill can result. During warm weather when dissolved-oxygen concentrations are already low, chances of such problems increase. This is why chemical treatments of excess vegetation in a waterbody should be staggered over time; so large amounts of plants do not die all at once. See Section 4 for more information on developing management plans."
CLEAN AND DRY
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

nm