Need advice on this boat please!

TRIXGOTAFISH

Need advice on this boat please!

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Hey all just looking for all open and honest opinions on this boat i took a look at yesterday as i'm trying to find a good used bass boat to fit my meager budget to be my first starter boat.

Here's the CL ad:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/5773252415.html

The owner was gracious enough to offer me a test drive out on the Delta yesterday which i thought was very kind and the seller was a stand-up guy that seemed like a straight-shooter.

Said the boat was previously owned by a rep from Minn Kota (had his name on the motor but was removed Jim Thurston or something like that)

Anyway overall seemed like a decent boat for the age etc but it did run strong and idled well after what seemed to be the normal slight smoking after initial start-up.

I made a quick video for anyone that can or would like to help out lmk and i can e-mail you the link as it's not public on youtube right now.

It has 2 Lowrance fish finders, 3 new batteries out back w/ charger, MinnKota Maxxus 74# thrust 24V trolling motor, Johnson GT200 outboard but not sure why (both my step-dad's brother and others have mentioned why it has a SS 4 blade prop and whale-tail on it??), and hot foot

He actually said he'd be agreeable to have BoatMasters in Livermore do their pre-purchase inspection on it if i like for $175ish but for a $3K boat i'm not sure if i should go through the hassle but i'd like to at least know the comp test numbers to be safe i think.

Luckily he said BoatMasters did all the prior service on the boat so i'll try and find out more info from them on it.......

Thanks for the time all!
Bruce Theriot

Re: Need advice on this boat please!

Post by Bruce Theriot »

My first boat was an 89 Stratos 201 Pro with the same motor. Great boat, the 200 GT is a great engine however loves to drink gas. This boat you're looking at has a wood transom and deck so be sure to check for dry rot as it's not a cheap repair. Also would have a compression check done on the motor which is easy to perform yourself. The 4 blade prop ran better on my boat and gave quicker holeshot and handled better at top speed; used to run around 60-65 mph depending on load. Boat is pretty stable and ride is good and dry. If the owner has all the records ask to see them as there may be things noted by the shop that recomendeded repairs and may have a prior compression check. Hope this info helps.
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Bruce Theriot wrote:My first boat was an 89 Stratos 201 Pro with the same motor. Great boat, the 200 GT is a great engine however loves to drink gas. This boat you're looking at has a wood transom and deck so be sure to check for dry rot as it's not a cheap repair. Also would have a compression check done on the motor which is easy to perform yourself. The 4 blade prop ran better on my boat and gave quicker holeshot and handled better at top speed; used to run around 60-65 mph depending on load. Boat is pretty stable and ride is good and dry. If the owner has all the records ask to see them as there may be things noted by the shop that recomendeded repairs and may have a prior compression check. Hope this info helps.
Thanks kindly Bruce that indeed was very insightful and appreciated!

Maybe i should just make the video public and post it here to help you guys see what i saw?

I know the 1 big drawback is the fuel consumption and i can see why they put 2 tanks in there lol but i'd hope it wouldn't be too bad for a average day of fishing traveling say 30-40miles and not WOT all the time

I will def ask the seller for the CF # and see if boat masters does indeed have info on it aside from his records

The transom and deck seemed ok from what i could see the carpet def. needs work but imo i'm just hoping this will work for the next 1-3 yrs to get experience boating and to figure out what i'd like in the future
Bruce Theriot

Post by Bruce Theriot »

I also sent you a PM.
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

You will burn more gas than a boat payment would cost you , especially if you run aroun the delta . That whole rigs worth about 2500 max , not putting it down just saying if you like worm fishing you'll have a big can of um .
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

mike at robo wrote:You will burn more gas than a boat payment would cost you , especially if you run aroun the delta . That whole rigs worth about 2500 max , not putting it down just saying if you like worm fishing you'll have a big can of um .
Thanks for the open and honest reply Mike as that's what i'm looking for!

Funny you threw out that figure as i was discussing with a buddy and that's exactly what i said i'd probably offer for it.

According to my boater on average we travel about 40mi on a day of fishing out on the Delta so i'd guesstimate using about 15-20 gals of fuel

In all honesty i was thinking for my 1st boat that it may be smarter to stick to something aluminum and 100hp or less but i'm just on the search and open to whatever is out there and i'm in no hurry at all so i'll take my time and keep asking your guys' advice on what i find!

Also found out that parts for that johnson motor are becoming harder to find if at all so that could pose a big issue and i def. woudn't want to have to put a new motor on it........
minnkotaman

Post by minnkotaman »

that's my old boat, i fished in for 5 year before i sold it to a friend.
he's owned it ever since. it went to fast for him that's the reason for the whale tail.
i had it doing 68
with a hydra jack plate. very good boat and ran like a scalded rabbit.
i got out of tournaments, and moved down to an 18' that I'm still using.
i think you'll love it if you have a place to store it.
Jim l.
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

minnkotaman wrote:that's my old boat, i fished in for 5 year before i sold it to a friend.
he's owned it ever since. it went to fast for him that's the reason for the whale tail.
i had it doing 68
with a hydra jack plate. very good boat and ran like a scalded rabbit.
i got out of tournaments, and moved down to an 18' that I'm still using.
i think you'll love it if you have a place to store it.
Jim l.
Hey Jim thanks for the reply i sent you a pm