Moderator: Ken Sauret

DDLuvr

HDS Configuration and Wiring

Post by DDLuvr »

I currently have the following configuration:
HDS12 G2T at Bow
HDS12 G3 at Console
3D Structure Scan

It works great except for the limited screen space and an occasional reboot of the HDS12 G3 when viewing 3D Structure Scan images while recording sonar logs at the same time.

I have a HDS9 G2T that I would like to install at the Console by wiring 1)the power connector as normal, 2) an Ethernet hooked into the open 3D Structure Scan Ethernet port and 3)the NMEA 2000 port connected into the existing NMEA 2000 backbone (with an added T and drop cable) in order to connect to Point 1, etc. The structure port, sonar port and the remaining Ethernet port on the HDS9 would thus be empty.

My goal is, on the HDS9, to view a chart and standard sonar (using the sonar connected to the HDS12 G3 as the source) on a split screen while recording an sl2 (I transfer everything to Reefmaster and thus use the older file format) sonar log. On the HDS12 G3, this would allow me to view a split screen with 3D Structure Scan and Side Scan sources .

My overall question is, will this work?

My specific questions are this:
As I understand it, the 3D Structure scan box acts as a network hub, which should allow me to see the HDS12 G3 standard sonar transducer on the HDS9. Is this correct?
If so, will the HDS9 be able to record a sonar log using an image captured over the Ethernet, rather than from a direct sonar connection?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I start drilling holes in my boat...Thanks!!
Edd

Re: HDS Configuration and Wiring

Post by Edd »

Yes you will be able to see the 12 from the 9. I think, not sure, if you tell the 9 to get it's sonar source from the 12 and it will record, that is the ONLY sonar data you can get as there is NO other source connected. Not positive so can you please advise after you try. I sold all mu units and need to reorder MFD's so I can't actually test this out.
Wait I have customer boat in my shop with 2 units so I will put one on simulator in sonar and the other one on chart. The one on chart I will ask to log sonar and we'll see.
DDLuvr

Post by DDLuvr »

Thanks For the reply Edd! After talking with Lowrance support, I went ahead and hooked it up this way. It all seems to function ok but I'm headed to the lake tomorrow for a real test.
john21wall

Post by john21wall »

1) I assume the yellow accessory wire from the HDS goes to the LSS yellow to auto turn on the LSS when the HDS is turned on? How many of you have wired it this way BUT also installed a switch?

2) I don't see any way to turn off the 83/200 transducer.

3) What do you guys do when you want to use your HDS out of the water, for example in my garage, when I want to apply updates, plan routes, etc? Just do it, no worries? Anybody knowingly had an 83/200 or LSS issue occur after running it out of the water?
Idealne i perfekcyjne Obrzeża do ogrodu topowych marek w Polsce dostępne w bardzo wielu wariantach, znajdz nas w internecie i dokonaj zakupu w naszym sklepie OBRZEZEOGRODOWE, dostępni pod telefonem do 23 każdego dnia
DDLuvr

Post by DDLuvr »

Update Reply to John:

As stated, I tried at the lake and found that while I could select the HDS 12 G3 as the sonar source for the HDS9, it wouldn't actually display a sonar reading. A quick call to Lowrance led me to turn on "Network On" for BOTH the display and source units. It now works correctly.

Thanks for your reply and questions John. Here is what I've found. 1) I wired my 3DSS directly to a switch, bypassing the yellow wake wires. I did find that the Ethernet network hub functinality of the 3DSS box apparently still functions with its power switch in the off position. 2) The 83/200 xducr is still controlled by the unit to which it is connected (I.e. the HDS12 G3). 3) Good question, I wondered the very same thing.

Thanks!