Melted lures!!??

TRIXGOTAFISH

Melted lures!!??

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Any of you guys have this happen?

Was out on the Delta back in Jul and the temp hit 100* and when i got back home to re-organize my tackle i saw this :?

I tried to send Hedon an e-mail explaining what i found and asked if they have ever come across this as i assume it gets plenty hotter in other areas of the country but they never responded!

The lipless cb's are a mix of Strike King, Yamamoto, and Rat-L-Traps

surfk9

Re: Melted lures!!??

Post by surfk9 »

Yes I've had it happen (over the last two years) with a great many different brand plastic's....Lucky Craft, Heddon,rat-l-traps, black dog...don't think in matters brand....it's being conscious of where your plastic container is laying..mine have been on the deck in 85-100 degree daze...remedy is easy (barring a senior thing) keep them in your bag or better yet in the shade of your boat compartments!!! that has solved the issue for me
be careful out there!!! HAVE FUN!!! Wear your PFD.....It could Save your Life
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

surfk9 wrote:Yes I've had it happen (over the last two years) with a great many different brand plastic's....Lucky Craft, Heddon,rat-l-traps, black dog...don't think in matters brand....it's being conscious of where your plastic container is laying..mine have been on the deck in 85-100 degree daze...remedy is easy (barring a senior thing) keep them in your bag or better yet in the shade of your boat compartments!!! that has solved the issue for me
Best method of prevention is keep them in the water...tied to your line... :lol: Seriously, though, I have never had this happen to me (yet). Most of the time I keep my Plano boxes of hard baits in the storage compartment except when I am changing baits, then they go right back in the compartment. Occasionally one or two will get left out on the deck loose but even then I haven't had anything like that happen
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

two issues can happen , unfortunately I have had both happen . The ones your showing look heat related , the air expanded in side the chambers and due to the plastic a little softer , also due to heat , the warped . Depending on the plastic thickness , some are worse than others .
The other is leaving you plastic baits in contact with a hard plastic bait , they don't mix and you then have a plastic glob that was once your favorite crankbait .
tight lines ,
Robb
surfk9

Post by surfk9 »

The lures in my plastic box were probably in contact with solid wood or PVC made baits (my own designs) i left them on the deck not thinking the heat generated inside the boxes would cause the lures to do THIS...on my G2 crackers they split along the seam as well as on my savage gear s waver...again the temp inside the box was off the chart i'm sure..
JMHO
SObassman

Post by SObassman »

Ruined a 360 box of Luckycraft rip baits ,that one hurt the pocket book. Doesn't really have to be that hot just leaving boxes in the sun on the deck can also do that.
SObassman
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Over the last few years, in an effort to save money no doubt, the plastic that is used for a lot of crankbaits made overseas has changed. I've had Red Eye Shads, Norman DD22's, and spooks all do this in the last three years.
None of my older baits made by the same companies have swollen.
I tried the Red Eye Shads, and they don't swim anymore, so they're trash. The swollen DD22 still swim fine, and I've caught fish on them. The spooks also still work fine. They're just ugly.
I used to leave my boat outside, under a cover, and the heat got to them.
I think the heat builds up inside the tackle compartments, and has not where to go, if you don't open them and let them cool down. For me, that wasn't feasible when I kept my boat outside and covered.
Since I garage my boat now, this hasn't happened anymore, in spite of fishing on 100 degree days.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

The type of plastic the hard lures are made from makes a big difference. Nylon has a thermo limit around 105 degrees F before it starts to creep and unzip along nit lines or seams of hollow plastics. Direct sunlight can overheat and degrade Nylon or monofilament line, keep that in mind.
Another factor to consider is where the lures are being manufactured, the molder maybe using too high a % regrind plastic and that affects the strength of a molded lure.
Tom
dvkawboy

Post by dvkawboy »

Did you leave the box of lures out ? Is your deck lids insulated on your boat ?
All the deck lids on my champion are insulated even in the hottest months of the year the lockers never get hot , just a thought maybe insulate the kids and it will fix the problem .
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

This was my fault no doubt as i'm currently a non-boater so i had my boxes out on the deck (not in my backpack) and had i taken a few mins to modify the boxes i'd have saved some $$ i think....

I'll be sure to drill out some holes in my boxes to allow so air to dry out the lure as well as let heat out!
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I blew up a box of Lucky craft baits. I kept the hooks but it was a serious blow to my wallet and some were Bass a thon and other special colors...They were in the locker but in Ojai when it's summer time there is no place to hide them except in the house and Mama sez that ain't happening. :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
WRB

Post by WRB »

Take a look at Plano Hydro Flow boxes.
Tom
surfk9

Post by surfk9 »

Fished the Delta today ...caught four 2-21/2 lb'ers on my cracked/expanded delta craw color LC square bill...
Just Go Fish...LOL...it looks slightly off but still swims correctly & produces!!!! :lol: :lol:
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

I'll be sure to give them a shot next time out.....maybe it will add a bit of realistic/erratic movement to them to mimic a wounded bait fish! lol