split shot rig

jjpatton

split shot rig

Post by jjpatton »

Does anyone out west still do this? what is the best worm to try it with? looking for maybe a 4" ribbon tail unless someone has any other ideas. Thanks from a newbie in Iowa
Skeeterman

Re: split shot rig

Post by Skeeterman »

Roboworm 4" curly tails work for me but I also use 6"Robos.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

I split shot with 10" and 12" Powerworms. Use bigger worms to avoid dinks.
AnglersPursuit

Post by AnglersPursuit »

Very effective technique for me for many years. Not sure why its lost favor other than maybe liking to power fish more these days.

Best plastic hands down during use was a roboworm alive shad in hologram for clear water, ayu color for slightly green. Locally this is a fish magnet at Anderson Res.

Decoy makes a neat little deal that slides on your line to protect it from the crimp of the split shot. When fishing 4 and 6# line this can be an issue for a weak point in the line when guys crimp the shot down to keep it in place.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Decoy_Sh ... DCYSL.html

Fun little tehnique that puts a lot of fish in the tube,kayak, boat!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

This technique has really lost flavor since drop shotting hit the seen. This still catches fish well and you can split shot about any bait. The top of the list is Robo 4" & 6" straight tails. But also all Robo curl tails work well too. I'd guess the straight tail is used 95% of time.
WRB

Post by WRB »

The split shot rig is now called the mojo rig, pegged cylinder weight.
I have always preferred the slip shot rig that consist of a cylinder weight, glass bead, Carolina keeper for a weight stop and light wire hook (#5133 Owner).
The split shot that Dick Trask made popular and Bill Murphy used for trophy bass uses a round split clinched above the hook and requires skill not to deform the line.
FC line doesn't work well dragging a weight because it tends sink and snag easily, use a premium mono line.
The split shot or slip shot rig is still a very good presentation in lieu of dragging a drop shot.
Straight or curl tail worms both work, ribbon tails usually need a little faster retrieve like a T-rig.
Tom
MT

Post by MT »

Don't forget a 4 inch Zoom lizard around the spawn.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I use Maxima green in 5# for split shot or 10lb braid with a short leader . Then if I get into any docks I drop the leader and use that rig to skip baits under docks
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote:I use Maxima green in 5# for split shot or 10lb braid with a short leader . Then if I get into any docks I drop the leader and use that rig to skip baits under docks
5 lb test, in Florida? You the Man!!!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

6-8lb. mono, and a Keeper 4" or 6" or a Robo 4 1/2" or 6" straight tail for me......has worked on the Motherlode Lakes (and many others) for years....guess I must be old school...lol
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
jjpatton

Post by jjpatton »

Thanks guys!
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Back in the days I used to use crimp on oval shaped weights with 4-6" Magic worms. 1/0 offset shank hook on 6# PLine floroclear and would catch fish everywhere. Then came drop shotting and I dont split shot as much since then. Just preference I guess.