Super Cold Weather Coming- Save your outboards and boat plumbing from damage!

Caudawg

Super Cold Weather Coming- Save your outboards and boat plumbing from damage!

Post by Caudawg »

First...Here is some info about the possibility of a big freeze http://www.climatedepot.com/2016/11/30/ ... ntire-usa/

Hey WesternBassers... per above, there's a chance we could see some record cold temps next few weeks. I'm not an expert in how to winterize your boats but there's a few things I know that can go wrong from experience. I'll list a few instances and possible solutions...but PLEASE chime in with your solutions and other things to watch out for. This sport is expensive enough as is...so some of these preparedness suggestions might save you some money.

Outboards: Make sure you lower your lower unit and drain out all the water when you get get off the water. And if you store your boat outside store it with the motor down so water doesn't pool up in your prop. This water can freeze and create problems. ALSO...make sure to warm up that outboard several extra minutes when the "big freeze" hits.

Livewells: Make sure to drain all the water out of the livewells (and in your bilge for that matter) to prevent freezing/bursting pipes and blown seals in your pumps.

Again, I'm not an expert but I know there are more things to watch out for and more great solutions when it gets super cold. Global cooling getting worse! LOL! PLEASE SHARE your thoughts and help out your fellow WesternBassers.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Caudawg

Re: Super Cold Weather Coming- Save your outboards and boat plumbing from damage!

Post by Caudawg »

This is another link to the weather synopsis http://www.vencoreweather.com/blog/2016 ... eastern-us

It's a bit vague about how much the coastal-west will be affected...but I'm assuming we'll catch at least some of that cold blast.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Whoopbass

Re: Super Cold Weather Coming- Save your outboards and boat plumbing from damage!

Post by Whoopbass »

Looks like those projections estimate it could get down to 15 degrees here in the valley which would be a record.
Weather.com says mid 30's next Tuesday for a low. It will be interesting to see who's right and I hope its Weather.com.

In colder states guys will drain their water pressure gauge. I read that tonight and never thought of that. Most important thing is don't forget to bring your pets inside.
Catmantwo

Post by Catmantwo »

Something most people should to it check the air pressure in your tires (boat and truck). When temps drop into 30's or less air pressure goes down. With the road conditions we have here, the lower pressures will add some "bounce" to the trailers when towing resulting in excessive tire wear and potential failures.