Winter bass in ca delta the great mystery!

Bassmonkey1980

Winter bass in ca delta the great mystery!

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

It seems like every year around december the blacks disappear in the ca delta and magically re appear around The super bowl , this leaves me running for the lakes, anyone want to throw a dog a bone anything at this point would help THX WESTERN BASS
Chad Sweitzer

Re: Winter bass in ca delta the great mystery!

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

When you think you're fishing slow, fish slower, and I don't mean letting your jig sit there then popping it a couple times, I mean soak it, but never let it sit in one place for too long. Slow dragging black senkos was how we caught all of our fish last weekend.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Bassdrool

Post by Bassdrool »

Let me tell you....I used to go out and pre-fish in early to mid January and I would go into marinas, etc., to get out of the current and I would soak a jig or drop shot all day. This technique worked, as I would always catch maybe 5 and sometimes even 10-15 fish a day but they would all be 1-3lbers, sometimes a big one but it was hit and miss. In the last few years I have started fishing shallow, even in the cold weather and cold water and have found less fish but the fish I have found have been 4-10lbers. I also found them in and near main current areas, yes in the freezing cold water. And I am catching them all on either crankbaits (BDS III) and spinnerbaits. I went out last weekend and the water is high and muddy and still managed these two fish and 3 more like them. The KEY is confidence in what your doing. If your mind is set that the bite is tough, well then it probably well be tough. Stay focused and know that the big fish will move up shallow to feed throughout the day.
Attachments
2017-01-20_9-02-31.png
2017-01-20_9-02-31.png (187.96 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I can tell you guys the locations of Delta bass. They're in the same places now that they are in Feb, April, June, and so on. They are on points and many are in current. I was lucky enough to spend a day with Fish & Game this past Wednesday. It's amazing to to go down a bank and find zero fish for a couple of hundred yards, come up on a a little point and bring up a dozen fish. One single small berm in middle of White Slough gave us 7 or 8 fish over 7 pounds and biggest was 9.80 lbs. Right in the current. Yes, we were on shock boat. What a way to fish! I would love to own one of these for pre-fishing :) :)

I hear guys all the time say the fish are not in current in the winter. Well I've caught plenty of them in the current but many in backwaters too. I promise you there's lots of fish in the current. They may not bite, but they are there.
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Being in a F&W shock boat is an amazing experience! I was in one many years ago at Don Pedro - at night. They got their first 10 pounder shocked that night. It had the tail of a 10-12 inch bass hanging out of its mouth - swallowed it whole.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Thanks for this thread.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY