How do you setup/rig for bass fishing the Float n Fly

jimmyG

How do you setup/rig for bass fishing the Float n Fly

Post by jimmyG »

I'm never to old and learn new methods for bass fishing. So I need to learn and know how to use, setup/rig the 'Float n Fly.' I know nothing about it but, am eager to try. How do you vary the depths, what fly do you use, do you use scent? Any suggestions or recommendations would help. Thanks in advance.
Whoopbass

Re: How do you setup/rig for bass fishing the Float n Fly

Post by Whoopbass »

I have never seen anyone fishing that technique in CA. I could see it being effective here in the right situations. Your best bet is to check out videos on Youtube.
twocold

Post by twocold »

Jimmie,
I also would like to know the set up for this. As far as not working, the WWBT tournament last weekend was won on the float and fly. I have looked at some videos on you tube, but would like to know from those that use it how it works
jimmyG

Post by jimmyG »

The float n fly is a technique that all bass fishermen should be familiar with and have in their arsenal of presentations. From what I can gather, it is technique started back east and is slowly coming out west. In the WWBT it took a first place win this year and a fourth place finish last year at Lake Shasta. That's a lot of money being won with it.
DAN360V

Post by DAN360V »

You could call NVT in Oroville, they stock most of the F&F stuff and would be happy to show you how to rig it, fish it or any thing else about that rig. Shop #530-712-9356
george

Post by george »

I have fished this setup for years as it was taught to me by my older brother Gary who is a veteran fly fisherman of about sixty years!
I have used this technique in tournament fishing all the way back to the mid nineties with very good success. It seems to be a much better tactic on Spotted Bass waters as the large mouth do not seem to eat it very well.
I have tore them up at McClure and Melones with this method and actually won a few tournaments throwing it!

1) 7' to 7'6 medium lite action spinning rod with 4# pound fluorocarbon.
2) Small float/indicator; fly fishing indicator in orange or chartrues have worked for me.
3) 1/32 oz fly or Clouser type bait in white/yellow/grey; Match the Hatch! What is the local bait fish and mimic size and color.
4) Set indicator anywhere from six to ten feet above the fly; keep it just off the bottom! You will have to pay attention and and make a roll type cast with it as you are casting the indicator and letting the fly follow it and it will take some practice to perfect.
5) Let it sit as much as several minutes, but watch indicator diligently as your bigger fish will just suck it in and barely move the bobber. Fish it around dams, rock piles and back of coves as it is a tactic that will get you bit when the weather is cold and still.

George
fishndp

Post by fishndp »

Check this one out https://www.tacticalbassin.com/blog/519?rq=Float
Matt Allen has a few videos about his approach to it.
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

Sounds like 2 different things in play here. The floating fly which was described with the indicator/marabou fly and the float 'n fly which uses a Spro Phat fly or other type of small hair jigs that suspend at a certain depth under a float (or bobber if you like). The second is what was used to win at Shasta and is very good on Oroville as well. It requires a long 1-weight spinning rod 4-6lb test and at 1/8 or 1/16 oz hair jig. The bobber uses a string that is tied onto the line at a depth you determine so when you cast the jig will sink to that depth and suspend.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.