Gary D. What power rod do you suggest?

WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

A neighbor once had a pizza dropped to him that landed on the rotting ice of Lake Clark. He couldn’t trust the ice enough to walk on it, and finally got his fishing pole and a big treble hook to snag himself dinner. (Photo illustration by Steve Kahn)

Airdrop-illustration-001.jpg

LAKE CLARK — In Bush Alaska, dropping items from airplanes is a fairly common means of delivery. I suspect in a lot of crowds, you'd have to draw a number to tell the story of your experience from either above or below. The practice certainly has practical — even lifesaving — aspects when emergency gear like sleeping bags, clothing, medical supplies, radios and food are dropped to needy people on land and sea.

Pilots hone their airdrop skills at air shows by dropping flour bombs, rubber chickens and even bowling balls, attempting to hit a target. Some pilots calculate the weight of the object, the speed of the aircraft, the altitude, the drag on the object as it falls, the wind direction and speed. Others just let go at the right time.

For years, a friend of mine dropped frozen turkeys during the holidays to weather-bound Bush rats. It is, of course, an ideal form of air delivery for newspapers and mail.

Bananas, eggs and beer, however, are not the best choices for inexperienced droppers. A mischievous outfitter I worked for briefly responded to one of his guide's pleas for more reading material by dropping him a novel with the last 20 pages torn out. A neighbor once had a pizza dropped to him that landed on the rotting ice of the lake. He couldn't trust the ice enough to walk on it, and finally got his fishing pole and a big treble hook to snag himself dinner. Reportedly, it didn't put up much of a fight, but he claimed that it sure tasted good.

Read the rest: https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/we-alas ... s-spot-on/
Gary Dobyns

Re: Gary D. What power rod do you suggest?

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Fishing for Pizza. Now that's a new one :) I could really see some casting courses set up to practice on :) A 3 power is a must, more tip action for accurate casts :) :)
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Would the rod choice vary with different toppings?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Damn right it would. You'd need different rod for every pizza topping to do it right. Fury Series for one topping, Sierra Series for two topping, Champion Series for 3 topping and combinations would certainly require a DX. How many you need shipped today ? :)
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I believe the "Hook" choice would be critical also, lol !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Most big Gamakatsu would work....I'm getting good at these sponsor plugs :) :)
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I would think an all meat with thick crust and extra cheese would require an 8'xxh punching stick.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Do you think the new float and fly 8'+ rods will come into play? I'm thinking specifically of the garlic and basil pizza, but they would probably work for a variety of toppings.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Just might do it. I've never had so many F-n-F questions in my life. Our Lake Oroville boys have put this technique on the map in the west. It's always been popular in some places in the East.

A great shop that specializes in hand tied custom flies is Natures Tackle Box( 678)-567-1211

Good friends of mine.
Datguyrightder

Post by Datguyrightder »

Float an fly application for bread sticks