Buying my first bass boat... assistance appreciated

Freefall

Buying my first bass boat... assistance appreciated

Post by Freefall »

After many years of making my duck boats pull double duty I am finally in a position to buy my first pure fishing boat. I have never owned a bass boat , so this is a new and somewhat intimidating process. I know I have a lot to learn and am always appreciative of info and help so please feel free to fire away...

My wants.... the best quality boat and trailer I can get for 20-25K.... 18+ feet.... 150+ hp.... turn key ready, fully functioning pumps, electronics, trolling motor.... clear title, no damage.... preferably stored indoors.... I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Any boat I'm interested in will go to a reputable shop for a complete eval of the boat/motor and trailer ( at my expense).

Before I start shopping around if you have any advice or info I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Mark-C

Re: Buying my first bass boat... assistance appreciated

Post by Mark-C »

If you are fishing Clear Lake and the Delta frequently, I would be looking at a 20 foot or larger bassboat, not 18. It is windy so much of the time that these places fish like you are on big water. Also, for the Delta especially, I highly recommend twin Talons or Powerpoles.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

I agree, I'm definitely leaning toward a 20.

If anyone has a lead on one in the 20 to 25k range I'd appreciate it.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
lfg

Post by lfg »

I don't comment much on this site but do a lot of reading of this forum. I feel that maybe i have some information that will help. I have owned several bass boats and most of them major brands. However my advise would be to look beyond the major brands that are popular on the west coast, extend your search to other area's. There are boats that will give you what you are looking for by searching for a top brand out of the area. Believe it or not there is another good boat besides a ranger. Before anyone blasts me, i have owned a couple of them and yes they are a nice boat. So three things i would do (1) read an article on the hull truth web site entitled the worst of the worst outboards. find it by going to the hull Truth boating forum and search for #196748. It will give you an idea of the year of boat to look for (2) go to the bbc forum board and then to general bassboat topics then on page one read the post that asks " what brand do you think has the best build quality, list your top 5 and why. " You will be surprised at the answer. (3) save up a little more money to get the boat that has what you need. Good boats are hardly ever under the title " i got a hell of a deal on this boat from the guy, i almost stole it" The owners of a quality bass boat know exactly what it is worth and they will price it to be fair to them and fair to you. There are boats out there that have all the good stuff 36v troll motor,power poles, go fast motors, and new electronics. If you would like i can be contacted at bg48bg@gmail.com to give you some more help in your search.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Be patient and keep an eye out. Good deals do come along, they just don't last long. I did know where a used 520 was but don't know if it's sold or not. I'll check tomorrow. Also it never hurts to contact boat dealers and see if they have anything. Gone Fishin Marine in Dixon does a LOT of consignment boats and always has. Be a good place to check.
lfg

Post by lfg »

And I forgot to add that I have always heard, Gary Dobbins, has always been a good resource to help people find a quality boat. In reading the forums he has helped alot of guys and should be thanked for that
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Be patient and keep an eye out. Good deals do come along, they just don't last long. I did know where a used 520 was but don't know if it's sold or not. I'll check tomorrow. Also it never hurts to contact boat dealers and see if they have anything. Gone Fishin Marine in Dixon does a LOT of consignment boats and always has. Be a good place to check.

Awesome! Thank you and everyone for the help.

I was going to ask which other sites / locations people recommend to look at. I'll call Fishin Marine tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The 520 I knew about sold. Just letting you know I did check. I'll keep my ears open. THX!!
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

If I were in the market for a used boat, the first place I would look is the "Classifieds" right here on Western Bass! I'm surprised no one else mentioned it...
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Stratos278 wrote:If I were in the market for a used boat, the first place I would look is the "Classifieds" right here on Western Bass! I'm surprised no one else mentioned it...
I've been checking it daily. There's 1 in my price range that I'm going to try to look at this weekend.