Delta Levees

Brian D.

Delta Levees

Post by Brian D. »

Question for the Delta Rats...

With the conversation focused on building infrastructure, how often are the levees maintained? Is this a proactive activity? I am unsure how often that it happens, but it would be devastating to have one of them fail and flood homes, crops, etc.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Gary Dobyns

Re: Delta Levees

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I don't know the answer to this question. I do know as I run around the Delta fishing I see plenty of erosion in scattered spots around the Delta.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian,
I live on Sandmound Slough, and the levee on my side is maintained by a local levee district maintenance yard across the street from my house. But other sections are maintained by other levee districts.
I'm sure there are levees that are the responsibility of the private land owners whose farmland is protected by their levee.
Whether or not they do maintenance, or just rely on the Army Corp. of Engineers to come in and plug the leaks as they happen, is the $64,000 question.
There is a map of those islands surrounded by levees that are deemed worth saving, and those that will just be allowed to flood. It is in an article in SF Gate from back in 2009 which shows the map that was made by UC Davis, showing which islands were worth saving, and which ones were not.
I have it on my computer.
My youngest just came upstairs and showed me how to share it.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks Gary and Mark.

And... good on you Mark for learning how to put pics in a post. Old dog - new trick. Woof.

When my travels take me up north to the Delta and search for monster largemouth tucked in 100 miles of tulles, I have seen the devastating aftermath of destroyed levees and the herculean attempts of trying to patch them. It's quite remarkable, actually. Who would have thought that when the various immigrants built the delta and waterways back in the late 1800 to early 1900's that they would still be in the same shape with only minor improvements. Engineering at its best.

A simple google search found that delta repairs, maintenance and emergency preparedness is done by the Department of Water Resources as well as local and state agencies. Found this little historical nugget of info too.

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian D. wrote:Thanks Gary and Mark.

And... good on you Mark for learning how to put pics in a post. Old dog - new trick. Woof.

When my travels take me up north to the Delta and search for monster largemouth tucked in 100 miles of tulles, I have seen the devastating aftermath of destroyed levees and the herculean attempts of trying to patch them. It's quite remarkable, actually. Who would have thought that when the various immigrants built the delta and waterways back in the late 1800 to early 1900's that they would still be in the same shape with only minor improvements. Engineering at its best.

A simple google search found that delta repairs, maintenance and emergency preparedness is done by the Department of Water Resources as well as local and state agencies. Found this little historical nugget of info too.

Thank goodness for smart kids!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY