Clear Lake and Oroville post

kb

Clear Lake and Oroville post

Post by kb »

I was asked to post this on Westernbass.com as well. Let's keep those in the wake of the high water in our thoughts!

kb

I have seen alot of comments regarding lake closures and not allowing boats on places like Clear Lake and Oroville. I have made a few calls today and the bottom line is several weeks ago on Clear Lake they put a 5mph speed limit on the lake then they were convinced to lift that and put a speed limit within 2500 feet of shore....The lake continued to rise into the flood stage and the residents were fighting back the water to save their homes, some of them with only inches between dry and damage! The dam can let out enough water to drop the lake about an inch per day without a large storm surge and the forcast is for more water in the next week.

It didn't take long before there were a few anglers in bass boats that were not going by the restrictions, one of the water board members saw it personally and then there were the bass boats that outran the water patrol boats when they attempted to stop them. It made their decision pretty easy! Yes there are some big tournaments coming up to Clear Lake and Oroville has had several relocated. I know it is easy to say the wind at Clear Lake does more damage than a boat wake and that is probably true but the wind doesn't have to worry about it's image of not caring about the local residents and their flooding issues...we do!

I hope that each of you that are calling the Water Board, Chamber of Commerce or Local Sheriff are being polite and professional.

Do you want to help out our friends that are effected by this how about calling one of the shops around Clear Lake or Oroville and ordering a few baits even the ones you don't need yet but you know you will. How about booking a guide trip with one of the guides for later in the year and sending them 50% up front. If you don't need any baits call one of the stores and buy a gift card and put it in your wallet.....it will be something to look forward to on that return trip to Clear Lake or Oroville.

And this should be the one heck of an opportunity for the kayak bass clubs, belly boat, u-boat clubs to own that place for a litle while.

Just a side note on this already too long post but the county had a minimum of 60 days for an emergency regulation and they have said they will evaluate the levels and dangers weekly. They never said it was 60 days period! Many of our friends are wading into their homes up there or have been evacuated and fear their phone going off again and if this isn't more of an important issue for you it should be!
I will do my best to keep you all up to date on the latest news and restrictions on the Ultimate Bass Radio Show!
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Big Stick 74

Re: Clear Lake and Oroville post

Post by Big Stick 74 »

Kb, as always you are spot on!

Please people! Listen to to the message! :D
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

More on the Clear Lake flooding from Matt Allen's FB: http://www.westernbass.com/forum/post57 ... ml#p576521
Larry Hemphill

Kent - we all thank you for your message!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

One of the unfortunate facts of life is that "a few can spoil it for the many." That is true of any large body of people. Happens at sporting events often. Anyone can buy and roar off in a new bass boat, knowing nothing about the responsibility and proper etiquette of operating a high powered watercraft. Jet ski operators might come to mind. Are there really bass boat operators that ran from the Sheriff at Clear Lake? Hard to believe! Some of you might remember my post about the bass boat that tried to run over my clients and me at Berryessa late last fall. What on earth were they thinking? I have been fishing Clear Lake for about 40+ years and can't remember an emergency like this. I remember the 1997 flooding at Clear Lake, watching some of the home owners outside watching the rising water, knowing there wasn't anything they could do. What a hopeless feeling. All of Nor Cal was kind of feeling that way. We could all offer a prayer about the situation at hand, asking for minimal damage and a future break in the rain.
DAN360V

Post by DAN360V »

Great post Kent. I wanted to add that Kent called me mid last week and asked if I would like to call into the show and talk about North Valley tackle and just let guys know we were open and the current lake situation. It means a lot to me that Kent is helping fellow fisherman and tackle shops during this hard time for us. Me and Jamey greatly appreciate the positive words and help. Thank you Kent and Ultimate Bass Radio!
Fast 492

Post by Fast 492 »

Class Act as always Kent. So true, let'shelp out our brothers/friends.
The only sport besides golf that you can only blame yourself !!!

Jason Bubier-Director
NorCal90 Fishing
WildWestBassTrail, CA
530-230-8868
530-589-2601
Lbass1

Post by Lbass1 »

Couldn't agree more! Please support the towns, tackle shops and guides right now! I've been in Lakeport all week and it's not good! People and businesses are feeling the flooding and lake closure BIG TIME! We should all do what we can. When the flooding calms down a bit go to Oroville, Clearlake and any other town that's dealing with crazy flooding. Rent a room, go out to eat, buy some gas, and go buy some tackle for later!!! These towns and people help us out and treat us good all year when we're out there doing what we love and these communities count on our money! Please do what you can!