Crankbait rod

RA8R55

Crankbait rod

Post by RA8R55 »

Looking for a crankbait rod for shallow to medium deep. Was looking at the Quantum KVD cranking rod. Can you help me out?
Freefall

Re: Crankbait rod

Post by Freefall »

I've used a Powell Max 3D 725 and 755 for a few years and for square bills and for traps I use the 725. It throws them accurately and is soft enough to not throw or pull the trebles.

The 755 is pretty stiff, I use it for chatterbaits, its an awesome rod for that but too stiff for shallow cranking in my opinion.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

My first choice would be a 7'6" rod in Dobyns Champion line (764 CB) - Retail $259

My second choice would be Fury 705 CB @ $109

Dobyns is super strong in CB rods with many powers and lengths at different price points. We also have Glass and Graphite CB rods. If it's for cranking or jerkbaits we'll have a great rod for it!!
john zillig

Post by john zillig »

Gary What Fury rod would you choose for a ripbait rod?
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

If you are anything like me, I am obsessed with finding the "perfect combo" for different techniques. Daiwa makes a few different crank rods, and I have tried all of them. The Daiwa Tatula E-glass rods are very popular and the price is right. I use the Daiwa Zillion series for almost all of my cranking. The 7'2" Med and the 7'2" MH are my two favorites for med drivers and square bills. The MH is also my go-to vibrating jig rod. Tight lines!!

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/z ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="john zillig"]Gary What Fury rod would you choose for a ripbait rod?[/quote]

The Fury 705 CB is an excellent jerkbait rod.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

I have a couple Champion's and a couple Fury's....IMHO, the Fury 705CB for a $109 is hard to beat, abs talk about versatile!!!
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
chubasco2

Post by chubasco2 »

Mr. Tony Lain, any idea when the new silver Tatula rods will hit the market? I'm hearing there will be glass models in the lineup. IMO the glass Zillions are the best production reaction rods out there

On a side note, I have a small company called HawgHustlers and we specialize in making vibrating jigs and swimjigs. I build custom rods on Rainshadow eglass blanks and also on Seeker S-glass blanks for fishing all moving baits. If your interested in something custom shoot me a PM and I'll fill you in on what we build. The best part about custom is you can cut blanks down and build your handles and guides exactly how you want them and I'm a big fan of revolver wraps for reaction fishing. Brett Hite and Joe Uribe Jr. both still use there custom rods even thought they have Daiwa backing, just saying
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

chubasco2, all the new stuff (Including the Tatula Elite rods) will be released @ Bassmaster Classic. Tune in to Tackle Warehouse for a lot of new Daiwa product V-Logs. Most pro's I know (me too) have our own custom made rods for specific techniques even though we are on a pro team. And yes, the new Daiwa line-up will have a few crank rods, but I have not had the opportunity to fish with them yet... I agree with you, Daiwa Zillion glass rods are hard to beat for cranks!!
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

For square bills and smaller crankbaits I use the Dobyns champion 804 cb
Dave
FISHIN

Post by FISHIN »

Dobyns Champion line (764 CB) love this rod, wish I had 2 of them
H.johnson

Post by H.johnson »

I personally use the the Dobyns 765 cb glass in the Champion series. I own 3 of them. Its a very versatile rod. I've used it up at Clear Lake throwing deep divers and on the Delta with squarebills and chatterbaits. Best rod on the market for reaction baits in my opinion and handles big fish really well. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="FISHIN"]Dobyns Champion line (764 CB) love this rod, wish I had 2 of them[/quote]

This is a very special CB rod. I also love this rod!! I also throw 704CB, 735 CB Glass, and 736 CB Glass a lot too. We have many great CB rods in lengths from 6'3" to 8' with many powers in each. I'm also working on a really long one too!!
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Not an expert, just an opinion. The lure, cover, and structure you're going to fish all come in to play on this one. I fish Berryessa most (all) of the time and love my 7' Phenix glass rods. Real moderate and versatile. I loved the first one so much I bought a second. LC BDS3, LC LVR 500s, SK 1.5-2.5, and 12-17 lb line depending on what kind of cover and how I'm going to fish it, close or far. Not going to use a 7'6" comfortably when close up (10-40' pitches). Test the waters. Too many decisions out there.
zmyers
RA8R55

Post by RA8R55 »

Gary Dobyns wrote:My first choice would be a 7'6" rod in Dobyns Champion line (764 CB) - Retail $259

My second choice would be Fury 705 CB @ $109

Dobyns is super strong in CB rods with many powers and lengths at different price points. We also have Glass and Graphite CB rods. If it's for cranking or jerkbaits we'll have a great rod for it!!
Do you know a good location where i can find these rods. Would Like see how they feel.
Thanks
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

We have a dealer locator on our website as I don't know where you live. Dobynsrods.com

Please call and make sure they have in stock. This is one of those "special" rods that's jut awesome. If you ever around Yuba City we can certainly show all the CB models at our warehouse.

THX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://dobynsrods.com/dealers/