Rubber Mats for BASS Boats

Wolfeman

Rubber Mats for BASS Boats

Post by Wolfeman »

If BASS is going to continue to resist allowing the anglers to use nets in their tournaments, then they should require each boat to have a rubber 'landing mat' on the boat so that the bass are not flopping around on the boat carpet, thereby damaging their protective slime coating.
If they care about the bass population, as they claim to, then they need to come up with more protection for the fish that are caught. Generally they do a good job of this, but with the plethora of fish being flipped onto the carpet I think it's time they do something.
- Wolfeman
Last edited by Wolfeman on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
TonyM

Re: Rubber Mats for BASS Boars

Post by TonyM »

I agree. We preach catch and release and taking care of the reaource, but dont do what we should to ensure they're in the best possible condition prior to release. Us weekend warriors see the elites doing it and now it seems the in thing to drop em on the deck and let em flop around. I like the way Major League Fishing penalizes the angler for letting em touch the carpet.
mark poulson

Re: Rubber Mats for BASS Boars

Post by mark poulson »

You can use your rubber landing net for a landing mat. You can also soak a yellow microtowel in water, and put it on the deck for a landing pad. Another one in the console area, so your fish won't flop out of the boat.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Wolfeman

Re: Rubber Mats for BASS Boats

Post by Wolfeman »

That's what I'm sayin Mark, let the Bass Pros use nets.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
mark poulson

Re: Rubber Mats for BASS Boats

Post by mark poulson »

Wolfeman wrote:That's what I'm sayin Mark, let the Bass Pros use nets.
- Wolfeman
I don't mind using a net, but juggling a loaded rod while I try to get the net is a challenge for me.
I have trouble bending down to lip my fish anymore, so I boat flip everything I can, and I use the net lying flat on my deck as a landing pad.
I think it's much more exciting to see the pros have to lip or cradle their fish, and it much more difficult to do, so I understand why they do it.
For most of us, a net is a great tool. Think safety net. I'm sure I've netted fish that I never could have lipped.
I think of swinging fish into the boat the same way. For me, a lot of fish aren't that well hooked, and keeping them coming and swinging them keeps tension on the hook in their mouths, and never gives them a chance to come unpegged.
So, since I realized that bass don't need to lay on dry carpet, I try to give them a safe landing area.
That's why I started using the net, and a wet towel, to minimized carpet contact.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY