A rig rod

Reel Guy

A rig rod

Post by Reel Guy »

Looking to by an A Rig rod. What would be a good one.
michael

Re: A rig rod

Post by michael »

A few months ago I bought a Dobyns Champion 794 sb. Used it at Oroville, Shasta and Clear Lake for throwing my A rigs over the last couple of months. I really like it. Good luck, Mike
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Dobyns DX 795 flip is a really good rod also. Nice tip for casting the a rig and great backbone for larger fish.
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

Phenix M1 Inshore 7'11" MH
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

We have lots of models that throw an A-Rig great. The 794 SB might be best yet. Also, for light rigs 806 CB is what I've used for last several years. 795 SB is probably the most favorite. Lots of options. THX!!!
Reel Guy

Post by Reel Guy »

Thanks, guys for all your help. Gary where can I go to look at these rods? You guys have gave me some grate rods to look at. Now I need to go and look at them and I hope they have cork handles. Thanks again.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I see you live in Vacaville. Guns, Fishing & More has them. You're not all that far from Yuba City and our shop either. The SB models have EVA handles all others have cork. There's lots of difference in EVA and we use good stuff. I do agree with you, I'm a cork guy as well.
BadChad1983

Post by BadChad1983 »

Hi All-

This is my first time posting and I was hoping to get some insight on the dobyns DC 794 SB.

I am looking for a swimbait rod that is dedicated for throwing only the Huddleston weedless grass minnow & weedless shad. If I could also throw the hudd gill, some of the little creepers and maybe the baby strong gill that is purely a bonus.

Ive never handled a dobyns as where I'm at in Iowa we don't have any dealers but from everything I've read the 795 sb or 5 power is probably too much for the hudd weedless minnow/shad, I think the 4 power would probably be better and it wouldn't surprise me at all if a DC 793 sb is released sometime down the road.

Has anyone thrown the hudd minnow on the 794 out there and give me any insight?

Thanks!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Chad,

This bait is only 7/16oz . I think a true SB rod is too much. Our guys here in the shop are throwing the Sierra 735C for this bait. The Sierra is slower in action as a Fast Action instead of the Champ 735C that's really an X-Fast Action. I'd recommend a Sierra 735C for sure. The DC 794SB is an awesome SB rod and the best 10 XD cranking rod I've ever seen. But, it's too much rod for the Hudd minnow.

THX!!!!!!