Skeet Reese Skin Cancer

WB Staff

Skeet Reese Skin Cancer

Post by WB Staff »

From Skeet Reese

All right so let's talk about skin cancer. I just found out yesterday that a mole that I had biopsied is melanoma. The first picture is the part that they cut out today.
The second picture shows the 7cm of stitches when it was all done! The interesting part is that either John Murray, Professional Angler or Brent Ehrler will have to remove the stitches next Friday at Toledo bend!! That should make for a interesting video!!
I am only 47 years old and to be doing this already is pretty early. This is a reminder to all you angers out there to protect your skin. Time for me to start wearing long sleeve UPF rated shirts like Huk Gear and more sunscreen as wel
Attachments
17635092_1474785995899140_231130469345696817_o.jpg
17522851_1474786022565804_8049258070749897506_n.jpg
WRB

Re: Skeet Reese Skin Cancer

Post by WRB »

Unfortunately skin cancer from sun exposure is common, we all have spent lots of time in the sun when we are young and naive, the damage isn't reversible. Cover up with sun protected hats and clothing and use sun screen.
Bill Murphy, author of In Pursuit of Gisnt Bass, passed away from skin cancer, don't take it lightly!
Hope Skeet recovers without any more melanoma showing up.
Tom
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

I am 75 and have had dozens of "spots" frozen off and two cut out of my lower lip. The Vet said the problem was caused over 50 years ago. While is too late for me I still wear long sleeve shirts and put on SPF one million sun screen. Cover up guys!
merc1997

Post by merc1997 »

WRB wrote:Unfortunately skin cancer from sun exposure is common, we all have spent lots of time in the sun when we are young and naive, the damage isn't reversible. Cover up with sun protected hats and clothing and use sun screen.
Bill Murphy, author of In Pursuit of Gisnt Bass, passed away from skin cancer, don't take it lightly!
Tom
tom, perhaps this is a good reason that i have done way more night fishing than day time fishing. constant sun exposure is something to be serious about and take proper steps to protect your skin.

i have a lot of native indian from my dad's side of the family and seem to be able to tan in the shade, but you will rarely ever see me fishing all day in a short sleeve shirt. tom, thanks for reminding us of bill murphy and why he left us early. protect your skin.

bo
RJB

Post by RJB »

Skin cancer is no joke for sure. My dad almost died from just a little mole on his arm that turned out to be cancer. He has had one ear almost totally cut off and now has an ear made of pig skin that looks totally normal. Same for my mom. They r in their late 60's and dr told them that all the damage happened in their 20's and 30's. I'm only 37 and apply sun screen all the time. It's worth it!! Be safe everyone
Robb R

re: Skeet Reese Skin Cancer

Post by Robb R »

I am sorry to hear this , especially because it's melanoma . I am 55 and have had so many "burn " procedures and other chemical skin procedures I cant even think about it , including MOHS surgery . I have spent countless hours researching ways to prevent skin cancer , best types of sunscreen etc....
For me , I have a hard time wearing buffs . So I wear a "physical " type sunscreen which I think is the best for the skin and least problematic for your immune system . I also consume homemade bone broth's to build up my collagen levels.
Let's hope that Skeet can recover and not have any additional Melanoma's !!
Tight lines ,
Robb
Larry Hemphill

Another condition to watch!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I, too, have had many areas of face and arms burned off. That sounds weird - just the sun damaged areas! Remember, if you are fishing calm water with a low sun - morning or late afternoon which reflects off the water on to your face - that can be a problem. You can almost feel the reflection more than the direct sunlight. "Sunday Afternoons" is the company that makes the best large sun hats and now, protective face coverings. I have seen more and more guys using the face coverings this past year. Thankfully, no problems with "moonburn" on my night trips!!!

Nice to visit with you again, Skeet, at the ISE show - and please, cover up out there in the sun!!
WRB

Post by WRB »

merc1997 wrote:
WRB wrote:Unfortunately skin cancer from sun exposure is common, we all have spent lots of time in the sun when we are young and naive, the damage isn't reversible. Cover up with sun protected hats and clothing and use sun screen.
Tom
tom, perhaps this is a good reason that i have done way more night fishing than day time fishing. constant sun exposure is something to be serious about and take proper steps to protect your skin.

i have a lot of native indian from my dad's side of the family and seem to be able to tan in the shade, but you will rarely ever see me fishing all day in a short sleeve shirt. tom, thanks for reminding us of bill murphy and why he left us early. protect your skin.

bo
Bo, hope everything is going good for you.
Being a light shin blue eye Scott and spending way too much time under tropical sun as a teen and young adult my skin isn't in good condition. We learned too late to cover up during my generation and now must take precaution and use the best protection we can. I hope the younger generations read this and use SPF clothing and sun block, that is when the most damage occurs. Reflection off water and wind cooks your skin doing perminate damage. We need some sun for our health, about 15 minutes a day, not 15 hours!
Tom
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

I'm a 47 year old Caucasian that has spent way too much time in the sun also. I had a cancerous mole removed from my back a few years ago that required about 7cm of stitches also. It is a really disgusting feeling when the melon scooper type tool digs in your flesh to remove the cancerous area. The smell of my wounds being cauterized at the dermatologist's office is a smell that I can't forget. My stitches came loose from lying on my back, and the doctor said that it was best not to stitch them back up. I bled for two weeks.
Besides the horrors of the procedures, sunburns just plain hurt, and having your body exposed can make you fish less hard. I started to drag after multiple days on the water. The sun wear really helps me keep my energy up on the water.