Dobyns 733 breaking

338reddog

Dobyns 733 breaking

Post by 338reddog »

I had my rod break between the 7 and 8 th eye from the tip. It broke on a cast using a senko. The rod is new as of the end of 2016 and I don't think I ever boated a fish with it yet. What is the best method for returning the rod ? I'm not sure if I should take it back to where I bought it or send it back to Dobyns. I believe I shouldn't have to pay a replacement cost. If it was my fault that's one thing. But to explode on a cast that seems like a defect. I called And left a message two weeks ago about this rod having two eyes glued wrong with no return call. Then it breaks this weekend. These are the only rods in my locker aside from a pro qualifier. I have broke other rods and paid the $90 as they were my fault. But not this time.
mark poulson

Re: Dobyns 733 breaking

Post by mark poulson »

Call Dobyns Rods and they will take care of you.
(530) 671-1989
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Call Dobyns Rods and they will make it right. You will prob have to send the rod back because I'm sure Gary will want to see the defect. I've been fishing Dobyns Rods since 2009 and they have treated me good. I've broken two rods one was my fault and the other was a defect (2nd gen extreme). They hold up well but sometimes rods do break, doesn't matter the brand.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

My Fury 733 broke on the first cast. I'm guessing something happened during the shipping.

I sent it back, waiting to hear from them.

They're a great company, I'm sure they'll make it right.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
338reddog

Post by 338reddog »

Thanks guys
I will try calling again to see what they will do. I love my Dobyns rods and don't want to bash them. I when it broke , I thought it was one of my 683 and thought oh I wanted to trade it in any ways. Then at the end of the day I was putting my rods away and couldn't find my 733, then it dawned on me what rod had broke. Ah crap I just replaced it do to my stupidity now this
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Call Dobyns to see what the best way is to take care of it. I know that when I have had other rods explode like this, talking to rod builders its usually a small cut or fracture in the blank. I know that Gordon blames rod lockers for these dings in the graphite. Regardless the reason, call Dobyn's first and you will experience first hand why we continue to choose Dobyns.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I've only broken one of my Dobyns rods and there's not a doubt in my mind it was pilot error. It was one of the
RM 805 CBs and I had made thousands of casts and rocked back on hundreds of fish with it, so there's not a doubt in my mind that somehow I had damaged that rod either while transferring it or while it was on the deck of my boat. I told the Dobyns people exactly that and I was still elated with how they handled it.
Perfect example of what Ash is talking about.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Self inflicted wounds hurt the most.
"but I know, it's my own damn fault" Jimmy Buffett was right.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

The Jimmy Buffet reference is PERFECT!!

I know the OP was dealing with a brand new rod but it always amazes me when someone breaks a five year old stick and claims it was defective. C'mon, really :lol: