BLUEFIN!!!

tunaman

BLUEFIN!!!

Post by tunaman »

For those interested in the offshore scene, but haven't been paying attention since it is still early, they have been hanging bluefin already out of San Diego! This is the earliest they've shown up in quite a few years, and has now been ongoing for at least a few weeks.

The 3/4 day boats (!) are getting a pick at the 20-30# schoolies, and have hung and landed some jumbos over 100#.

Out on the 1 - 2 day grounds they are getting numbers of 50-70 pounders, with good shots at the jumbos too! One recent trip stated that they hung 10-12 jumbos, but only landed two, which taped out at 119# and 112#!!! :shock:

I'm booked for a 2 1/2 day trip at the beginning of next month, on the Top Gun 80, and encourage anyone else interested to jump on it while the fish are chewing and the angler counts are low.
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
185vsfrog

Re: BLUEFIN!!!

Post by 185vsfrog »

Thanks for the heads up Tunaman! I would love to get out. I have to put aside some time and do it.
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

I might be up for that!! I'm dying to get out and catch some tuna! Especially BFT!!
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
tbass858

Post by tbass858 »

The bluefin have been around the last 3 years starting March. They were just the 200 pound plus grade of fish, so the sporties couldn't target them. The local guys in the know absolutely crushed it. But if your interested in going down there contact pinnacle sportfishing Duane will put you on a fish of a lifetime. But if your looking to chase schoolies either prowler sportfishing or the Pacific queen are the boats you want to be on.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Prowler and Pacific Queen have been getting schoolies almost every trip, and picking at the gorillas more often than not. Prowler had two hundred pounders just yesterday.

While it's true that the big boats see the real jumbos most years in March, the BFT and allies are not usually in catch range for the fleet until May or June. This year is a rare exception.

Sounds like they are chewing the heavy gear too... They are usually very line shy - bluefin are the most skittish and have keen eyesight, and can normally spot a baited hook among a chum line and pick all the free baits off. It is typical to have to drop to light line just to get bit, thus reducing the chances of landing the toad. I was on a 6 day trip on the Red Rooster III several years ago under those conditions, and ended up having to drop down to 30# where I promptly got bit and spent an hour and a half getting my butt kicked by a stubborn 90# brute. I ended up winning that battle, but that bluefin actually won the war as I was hurting bad when it was all said and done!

Get 'em while they're hot!
Tight lines forever!

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

sweet.. bring home some meat.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
fishing1134

Post by fishing1134 »

I'm really excited bout this season. Tuna usually comes in May or later. Even at Channel Islands they are catching yellowtail and white seabass (which normally comes around late May).

Time to book a San Diego trip and dust off my Talica 16
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Yep... Hop on the Top Gun 80 trip on 5/5 - plenty of spots left right now.
Tight lines forever!

tunaman

Post by tunaman »

They're still getting the 100# fish, and they're suffering many casualties due to under gunned gear. They are getting them to go on 50-80#! :shock: Apparently the hot ticket for the big fish is a Shimano Flat Fall jig fished on 60-80#, spooled on a heavy two-speed rig.

There are still spots available on the 5/5 trip... Looks like it is going to be an ultra limited load - come on out and join us!
Tight lines forever!