Fish mounts

Duckman

Fish mounts

Post by Duckman »

Hey guys who do you recommend to mount a Bass around the Modesto area? I would like to hear from some people that have had fish mounted and are happy with the finished work. Thanks
Rod Martin

Re: Fish mounts

Post by Rod Martin »

I took pictures of my 18 and put her back. The guys at lake fork taxidermy then did a replica for my wall
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Mine was only 10.23 and I measured her, took pics and let her go back where she was. I guess it don't matter where you get a reproduction done as long as you give the measurements and pictures but I would like to keep it some what local.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Only reason I used Lake Fork. Was I met the owners in Brazil while fishing for Peacocks and they were making molds of peacocks for their work. Seemed like a nice couple of guys. Don't know any locals sorry.

Good luck in your search
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

I used Global Fish Mounts several years ago. I sent them the photos and measurements... They sent back a mount which wasn't even close :evil:

Not only was the shape incorrect, they didn't get the coloration or even the eye color right.

I complained, and sent it back, and they ended up matching the color and eyes pretty close. The shape doesn't match, so I keep a framed 20 x 30 photo alongside for reference.

Very disappointing overall experience.
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Glen Smith in Redding does the best work,530-275-4321
stop in the store and you can see his work and compare to others
WRB

Post by WRB »

Robert Munoz of Trophy Fish Mounts did my mounts unfortunately he moved to Arkansas and hasn't returned :( . Always looking for someone who can equal Munoz bass mounts, haven't found anyone yet.
Tom
ahein

Post by ahein »

Check out profishart.com in Idaho. He did a replica for me a few years back and was amazed with his work. Turn around time was 2 months and the price was reasonable. He even went out of his way to bring it to me while he was visiting family in Oakdale.
WRB

Post by WRB »

ahein wrote:Check out profishart.com in Idaho. He did a replica for me a few years back and was amazed with his work. Turn around time was 2 months and the price was reasonable. He even went out of his way to bring it to me while he was visiting family in Oakdale.
Good looking mounts, thanks for the link.
Tom
Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Good info guys much appreciated. I don't want to be disappointed with the finished mount, I have waited years to get this fish. Darrel
kawakawa

Post by kawakawa »

Lyons and O'Haver in San Diego does the best bass and fish mounts of anyone in the country, hands down. They've been around forever and are very well known in the saltwater fishing community, but they've also mounted most of the largest bass caught in San Diego and So Cal. Their work is museum quality and the price and lead-time reflects it!!

As Tom mentioned previously, Robert Munoz of Robert's fish mounts is also super talented and mounted many of the Castaic, Casitas and LA-area monsters from years past. I personally own over a dozen of his mounts of swordfish, bigeye tuna, mako shark, trout, white sea bass and several teen-size largemouth. Robert's paint jobs were second only to Mickey Lyon's work at L and OH. Both L and OH and Roberts only do fiberglass repro's, no skin mounts (anymore).
WRB

Post by WRB »

Duckman wrote:Good info guys much appreciated. I don't want to be disappointed with the finished mount, I have waited years to get this fish. Darrel
It's very important the mount looks like your bass as you remember it. You need to share with whomever does the mount what you want the bass to look like, facing left or right, mouth open, closed, gills, bass moving up or down or straight. Coloration also depends on your taste, natural unstressed muted colors or more vivid colors. Communication is important for the results to meet your expectations. Keep in mind LMB have 2 different species; Florida strain and Northern strain, both are very different in body shape, scale count, coloration is dependant on several factors. Length measured mouth closed to end of center of tail, girth around the widest body area dorsal fin down and good photos to determine coloration or any unique markings. Any special background art work adds to the cost and another personal choice.
I don't recall if you want a skin mount or replica? I have both and suggest a replica mount.
Tom
Steve

Post by Steve »

Duckman, if you are getting a replica made you need to keep this in mind. A replica is made from the mold of a real fish (and this mold was made from a fish a customer brought to them), and what they do is look at the measurements from your fish and match it up with the mold that is closest to your fish. They dont always have a mold that fits your fish well, and thats why some people will get a mount back that looks nothing like their fish (like Tunaman).

Those Bullards spotted bass are unlike any other spotted bass in the world, they have an unbelievable shape. You should think hard about this because very few taxidermists likely have molds of a spotted bass shaped even remotely to what yours was shaped like. Look for a taxidermist that has mounted Bullards spots prior. Its like you said, it took you a long time to find that fish and the last thing you want is a replica that looks nothing like your fish. Take your time, make phone calls, and ask questions before you commit.

It is for this reason, and mostly because of the age expectancy of those big fish, that I personally would keep a giant spotted bass in the event I wanted to get one mounted.
WRB

Post by WRB »

100% length to girth giant bass requires a mold that is the same as the fish caught and they are rare fish. It's impossible to know what molds a taxidermist has without talking to them first. You may be surprised how many giant bass go to a good taxidermist that have not been reported!
Tom