Castaic Speeding Offshore boats

DaveH

Castaic Speeding Offshore boats

Post by DaveH »

Its been a lil over 15 years since HTM owner and 3 others died while testing a 30ft race boat, County was sued by family members and this spurred on speed limit restrictions, (which already were there 35mph)
So here we are 15 years later, 4 sheriffs on duty in a 28ft dual engined rib boat, 6 to 7 full time lifeguards in two Radon lifeguard boats patrolling the lake.
Yet we still have 2 local high-end high speed offshore marine builders here in Santa Clarita taking these 35ft dual engine 1500hp boats out on the lake to speed test in full knowledge of the sheriff's Lifeguards and country parks and rec's lake staff.
I was there May 16th # pm headed west down the fish arm and was passed by a 30ft offshore type boat doing estimated 80 mph.
Sheriff Boat was just outside of the launch headed in a south east direction and was in full veiw and sound of this monster boat hauling ***, the lifeguard boat was just futher down the lake.
as i came into the launch ramp there was another boat ready to launch for it's speed run, along with a lifeguard who attends the launch ramp taking to the Marine company staff operating the boats.
This isn't a only time deal, I fish, guide, almost every day, and see the boats go right though the inspection process, without being inspected.
As the lake gets more and more new area's closed off to fishing at what has been told to me as a managements discretion.
Rules are rules so why should these guys get away with this ?
15 years ago it took 4 deaths to wake up the county and enforce safety rules but here we are again with relaxed empowered staff who need to get off there cans and do there jobs...
Jboutfishn

Re: Castaic Speeding Offshore boats

Post by Jboutfishn »

"As the lake gets more and more new area's closed off to fishing at what has been told to me as a managements discretion".

And we close off areas why?
DaveH

Re: Castaic Speeding Offshore boats

Post by DaveH »

Jboutfishn wrote:"As the lake gets more and more new area's closed off to fishing at what has been told to me as a managements discretion".

And we close off areas why?
I typed and more twice, what I was getting at is we're loosing areas that were always open to fishing, bouy line in elderberry , 5mph area by the west ramp towards the tower, and the large spillway area at the lagoon, noting that nothing about these rule changes are posted on the lake Castaic website or lake map handed out on request.
Just as it's the decision not to allow movement between pyramid and Castaic, public has now say.
If we have another death related to speeding of these offshore boats they could easily just close the lake down due to fear of getting sued again.