Its called a Bassboat !!

Rod Martin

Its called a Bassboat !!

Post by Rod Martin »

So How many Bass will it hold ? I asked the internet, what are the specs for a Ranger177tr. Then I asked what size is the live well ? Went to all the sites, some Ranger sites and others and I got how long ,wide, deep, max engine size, rod locker size and what they would hold and gas tank size but nothing that said how many Bass it would hold.
You would think since it says how many people and how much weight it will hold that it would be call a People and gas boat NOT a Bass Boat.
So help me out. How many Bass will it hold ?
10 3 pounders
10. 2 pounders
1 30 pounder

You would think the industry would require a label IF YOU EXCEED 25 pounds of fish in this live well it may cause fish distress or what ever number they came up with.

Remember this entire boat and the sport was made to catch and carry little green fish around ALIVE . Did anyone do research on size of the live well ? :shock:
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Pat

Re: Its called a Bassboat !!

Post by Pat »

I think live well capacity, in terms of number of fish, is dependent on the time of year, temperature of water and how long you plan to have the fish in there. So, it depends. I have seen live well capacity expressed in terms of water capacity and the number and flow of the pumps supporting it.

Pat
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod,
Ranger said the livewell on my TR177 is 16 gallons.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

mark poulson wrote:Rod,
Ranger said the livewell on my TR177 is 16 gallons.

Thanks
I'm probably worrying to much. I'm more of a 10 or 12 lb limit kind of guy. But every once in a while I might bring in a 10 or 12 kicker fish :shock:
WRB

Post by WRB »

Most bass boats have dual livewells that are 15 gallons each with a divider or 30 gallons of water together. 10 lb bass is usually longer (24") than the average bass boat livewell that is designed for 18" bass. Measure length X width X depth = cubic inches and divide by 231 for gallons.
With the MLF format becoming popular you won't need to carry as many live bass in the livewells!

Tom
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

WRB wrote:Most bass boats have dual livewells that are 15 gallons each with a divider or 30 gallons of water together. 10 lb bass is usually longer (24") than the average bass boat livewell that is designed for 18" bass. Measure length X width X depth = cubic inches and divide by 231 for gallons.
With the MLF format becoming popular you won't need to carry as many live bass in the livewells!

Tom
Thanks Tom
I just fish a small club, We do draw tournaments so far I have not have a non-boater and a big bag at the same time. The 177tr has a single live well with a divider, which I have removed. I am just trying to get a good ideal how many pounds my live well will sustain for a full days tournament .
Saturday I had two of my fives by 9:30 plus a small fish ,then the other five and last small fish by noon. So they were in the live well most of the day.
So really what can I expect from a 16 gal live well and do I need to maybe convert a storage locker beside the live well to hold fish if I need it to
WRB

Post by WRB »

I have a TR-175 with a divided livewell and removed the devider; 28" X 18 X 15 = 32 gallons full and holds a few DD bass OK for a short time period.
Tom
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I'm still looking for my first DD bass, much less multiple DD's caught in the same day, in the same livewell! ; > )