Revitalizing Berryessa Tourism

WB Staff

Revitalizing Berryessa Tourism

Post by WB Staff »

Lake Berryessa was once a popular destination for boaters, fishermen and families looking for a day of fun at the lake. It brought in millions of annual visitors. Now it attracts just a fraction of that. In part because several of its resorts were demolished or severely downsized in 2009 by the Bureau of Reclamation. But as KRCB’s Tiffany Camhi reports, a proposal for Napa County to take over resort management could bring tourists and revitalization back to the lake.

Lake Berryessa Chamber of Commerce President Peter Kilkus says the move to have Napa County take over concessions at the lake could revitalize the area.

Lake Berryessa still has two resorts operating at full capacity: Markley Cove Marina and Pleasure Cove Marina. These two resorts have extended

Read the rest: http://radio.krcb.org/post/napa-county- ... p#stream/0
bent70

Re: Revitalizing Berryessa Tourism

Post by bent70 »

They should have never destroyed the resorts in the first place. My family had a great permanent trailer site a Spanish flat where we would spend considerable vacation time and shared many memorable times since the 80's. Hopefully, one day I can give my child and family the same life experiences I had there and I can get back a lifestyle stripped from me and many others who did the same.
Steve

Post by Steve »

One major reason why the resorts were "destroyed" is because the resorts grossly violated the conditions of their permits. The biggest violation was that the resorts allowed "permanent trailers" at the permitted locations.
bent70

Post by bent70 »

:lol: so it took them 30+ yes to enforce it.
Was the land always state or federal owned and the resorts leased?
Larry Hemphill

Resorts were each given a 50 yr lease

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I don't know all the details (does anyone?), but all the original resorts were given a 50 year lease from the fed govt after the lake was filled in 1958. When those leases were over around 2010, all but 2 of the resorts were shut down and torn down. I watched some of the destruction from my boat as some of you probably did. Pleasure Cove Resort was the first facility able to remain operational because the property was sold to a new owner. The future of Markley Cove Resort was in doubt for a period of time, but recently became the second resort to have permanent ownership. As for the rest of the former resort areas, I know some offer a launching ramp, open during daylight hours. As for the future of Lake Berryessa, I hope some good things will happen. I was glad that the idea of making the lake open only to canoes didn't go far. One memory I will always have is guiding on a summer Friday night around Berryessa Marina, with all the happy families laughing and talking, music, and the campfires. America at its best. Now, during a night trip, it is deathly quiet, no lights, pitch black, not a sigh of life except the occasional deer rustling around. Sad!!!