Lake almanor

Stranger97

Lake almanor

Post by Stranger97 »

Trying to escape the heat this weekend I headed up to Chester without the boat to have a peek at lake almanor. It was about 20 degrees cooler there than at home in Redding. Wondering if anyone ever fishes this lake regularly. I hear there's smallmouth in it but most reports revolve around trolling for trout. Would it be worth the effort to drag the boat all the way up there for a day of fishing?
bigfoot55

Re: Lake almanor

Post by bigfoot55 »

I fished a few times, always had a fun time fishing for the bronze. Worth it, last time I saw a pack of 5 pounders plus roaming a bank
IsaacG

Post by IsaacG »

The north end of the lake has some really good rocky banks that hold good populations of smallies. There are also some giants that roam the banks near the dam. Topwater early and late then dartheads, dropshot, and rippin all work. Check out Butt Lake as well, its fed by Almanor. There are 8 plus pound smallies in there.
biteme

Post by biteme »

I need to get up that way
Stranger97

Post by Stranger97 »

Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated. Any recommendations on the best place to launch?
Larry Hemphill

I could help you

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I have fished and guided on the lake for 30+ years. A friend and I took 3rd place in a large spring tournament there this year. I always like to talk to people rather than post info about a lake, mainly because I need to know the specific questions. I could talk for hours about Almanor fishing - day or night. I do both. If you want, look under the guides section of wb.com and my number is there. Almanor really may be my favorite lake - stunning scenery and often great fishing (for smallmouth). I would be happy to help you out with some info about the lake.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Larry what do you charge? Pm me me if that's easier.
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

You can call 530 674-0276. I would be happy to talk to you about the lake.
fpomilia

Post by fpomilia »

I fished Almanore for years. Had some epic days of 5# average bows and Browns fishing bait. Biggest was 8# salmon. The only lake I will eat fish out of. Fished both day and night. Never saw anyone else fishing at night. We fished bronze backs for a change and always found good numbers and size. Best time of year for trout is October. Best lake in the state.