Jigs - Delta

Joeshmo

Jigs - Delta

Post by Joeshmo »

New to the area and fishing the Delta. What color jigs should I stick with and what seasons should I use these colors? Also, should I use a rattle? Your advice is appreciated. Thank you
Bass boy dave

Re: Jigs - Delta

Post by Bass boy dave »

black and blue, black and red and green pumpkin. pitch into tulle pockets wont need a rattle. if you land one next to them the bites normally come quick
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Summer craw
Brown / Green black green crystal / Hot blaze orange
Brown/ Green black green crystal / Blaze orange
Are two good color to use there this time of year
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

For the Delta,I'm from the KISS school (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Wadda Jig, black with blue trailer, brown with purple trailer. start with a 3/8, then try the 1/2 ounce.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

You can never have to many color patterns and jigs sizes and style's of jigs I've always keep it simple.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
hydro

Post by hydro »

two types of crayfish in the delta " swamp craws" and "Signal Crayfish"
Swamp craws are basically green pumpkin colored with a little red/orange on their legs and pincer tips when small then later they turn the bright red color we all know and love and sometimes a brownish purple color .
Signal Crayfish are a dark brown when young and then develop red on the bottom sides of their claws with some blue on the top side when they get bigger . If you're trying to match the hatch one really doesn't need all of the wild jig colors available . There can be color mutations such as all blue but I've never encountered one myself in the wild .
" Keep it simple " is some sage advice . Just my .02
WRB

Post by WRB »

You can drive yourself crazy trying to match the hatch with jigs. After 6 decades of jig fishing I learned to focus on color contrast; black with bright blue, Browns with green and purple, white with dark green and charteuse combos work everywhere. Match the trailer with 1 of the skirt colors gives you 8 combinations to fish with.
Tom
Joeshmo

Post by Joeshmo »

Thank you guys for your tips
Larry Hemphill

Trailers can matter

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I am not a delta expert, but do know jigs. All of the previous posts are excellent! Don't forget that a jig trailer is part of the total package. Try different sizes and actions. In very dingy water, you want a trailer that moves water and offers bulk to the package. Some trailers look good in clear water but don't create much water movement. Some are bulky and offer increased water movement to aid the attraction of the jig. I always like a curly single or double tail of at least 6 inches. At night I will even used a 6 to 8 inch curly tail plastic worm - with lots of Smelly Jelly!! Gator Tail type worms are excellent trailers in dingy water or at night.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Larry is right back in late 70s early 80s when we started making mop jigs with 6 1/2" to 7" skirts 3/4 oz. Arkie head jigs we used big daddy pork and big gator tail worm trailers. Those jigs had a large profile and could be fished deep or shallow they work well for night fishing.