Jerkbait Rod----Survey

Steve-o

Jerkbait Rod----Survey

Post by Steve-o »

Looking to get a jerk bait rod. if you could post what your rod is I'd appreciate. Specify Med or Med heavy..etc thanks,
Popper

Re: Jerkbait Rod----Survey

Post by Popper »

Gloomis: CBR842
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

A few years ago I started throwing jerk baits on spinning tackle, after watching other pros do it on various Bass TV shows. After some trail and error, I think it works way better. I found you get longer cast, less arm fatigue and more control fighting fish (especially Smallmouth Bass). Braid with a fluorocarbon leader. That being said, I use the new Daiwa Elite Series spinning rods (ML and M) 7'3" M rod is my favorite. Check out the link:

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/t ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
CG

Post by CG »

With ya Tony, especially for my favorite rip bait, a 78 DD in Phantom Chartreuse Shad, thrown on a 7'2" Med Shimano spinning rod. Can cast that little bait much farther on the spinning rod than I can w/a bait caster. I do also use the 100 DD a lot, but on a 6'8" St. Croix / bait casting setup. The heavier bait shorter rod helps me with the casting distance and sore arm when yer rippin' all day. 100% flouro on both rods. Braid floats, which defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do with those deeper running baits.

Good topic!!
Big Stick 74

Post by Big Stick 74 »

Alpha Angler Slasher Jerkbait Rod. 6' 10"
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Dobyns has more CB rods than about anyone. My favorites for Jerkbaits are 704 CB which is a Medium and 705 CB which is Med/Hvy. These are a true mod-fast CB rod which are graphite. We also have glass too, but I prefer graphite myself. We do sell a lot of glass rods though. For jerk baits we have 6'3", 6'8", 7'0", and longer but I don't jerk bait with longer very often. You're welcome to call our shop at 530-671-1989 Mon-Thur 8-5 and talk with us about our thoughts on which rod for which baits. We're all Jerk Bait nuts and we fish a lot of different baits.

THX!!!!
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Lucky Craft! I don't think they make rods anymore, but if I ever see any for sale, I will buy them. I have other nice glass, but Lucky Craft is the only rod that lets me feel a fish hit a jerkbait on slack line.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Tony Lain wrote:A few years ago I started throwing jerk baits on spinning tackle, after watching other pros do it on various Bass TV shows. After some trail and error, I think it works way better. I found you get longer cast, less arm fatigue and more control fighting fish (especially Smallmouth Bass). Braid with a fluorocarbon leader. That being said, I use the new Daiwa Elite Series spinning rods (ML and M) 7'3" M rod is my favorite. Check out the link:

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/t ... index.html
Those rides are very nice. I came across the dropshot rods. I'll look at the those you mentioned. Yes various ways to fish the jerkbait. Ty for your response.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Popper wrote:Gloomis: CBR842

Thanks bud
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Dobyns has more CB rods than about anyone. My favorites for Jerkbaits are 704 CB which is a Medium and 705 CB which is Med/Hvy. These are a true mod-fast CB rod which are graphite. We also have glass too, but I prefer graphite myself. We do sell a lot of glass rods though. For jerk baits we have 6'3", 6'8", 7'0", and longer but I don't jerk bait with longer very often. You're welcome to call our shop at 530-671-1989 Mon-Thur 8-5 and talk with us about our thoughts on which rod for which baits. We're all Jerk Bait nuts and we fish a lot of different baits.

THX!!!!
THanks, I was looking at the 6'8. I'll call in to and get some answers. Ty for your time
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I use a Phenix 7' ML Ultra MBX for jerk baits and rattle traps. Also for 5" senkos, also for 8" Yamamoto grubs
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Aside from a soft tip and moderate action, I find that having some kind of a fore grip, or, at least, a softer front reel locking nut transition, is critical for how I hold the rod when I'm jerkbaiting.
Throwing a working jerkbaits, along with walking baits, are the most active retrieves, so comfort is critical.
I'd suggest you go into a tackle store and hold a couple of rods with reels mounted, to see how they feel in your hand. Take one of your reels with you so you get a truer read on how the whole setup will fit your hand.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Rod Martin wrote:I use a Phenix 7' ML Ultra MBX for jerk baits and rattle traps. Also for 5" senkos, also for 8" Yamamoto grubs
Cool thanks, nice!
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

mark poulson wrote:Aside from a soft tip and moderate action, I find that having some kind of a fore grip, or, at least, a softer front reel locking nut transition, is critical for how I hold the rod when I'm jerkbaiting.
Throwing a working jerkbaits, along with walking baits, are the most active retrieves, so comfort is critical.
I'd suggest you go into a tackle store and hold a couple of rods with reels mounted, to see how they feel in your hand. Take one of your reels with you so you get a truer read on how the whole setup will fit your hand.

Good point!

Thanks,