Flipping/Pitching Rod Length

Big Stick 74

Flipping/Pitching Rod Length

Post by Big Stick 74 »

I would like to get the forums opinions on what is considered the standard length of a rod used to flip and pitch with. Back in the day, it was standard to use a telescopic 7' 6" rod for flipping and a 7' rod for pitching. Personally I rarely use my Flipping stick and always pick up a rod 7' to 7' 3". With punching I use a 8' rod. What do you guys use? Thanks in advance.
Tony Lain

Re: Flipping/Pitching Rod Length

Post by Tony Lain »

I personally like two lengths, depends on the cover... When pitching outside edges, 7'4" rod for more accurate pitches. Heavy cover like wood and inside reeds, 7'6" for extra power to pull'em out of the think stuff. I use the Daiwa Tatula Elite series rods for this, 7'4" frog rod is my favorite rod for pitching. Check out the link:

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/t ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I pitch a lot with Flippin stick that I love. Champion 766Flip I can flip, pitch, or even Punch with it. I will say that a LOT of anglers prefer to pitch with a 7'3" rod and find it easier to handle. We make a Champion 736C that's awesome. It has enough tip to pitch easy but with Ex-Fast tip it comes into brute power quickly. The 736C is my personal all time favorite rod that I make. It's difficult to make a powerful, light, well balanced, and strong rod. The 736C is all of these and a very popular rod for us. We make it in full or split handle. I prefer full handle myself but you have the option. THX!!!!
DDG

Post by DDG »

ITs all preference, however for me it depends on the weight im using, 1oz and up im using a 766 or 806 any thing below 765, im a short guy so i like shorter sticks, but for punchin you cant go wrong with an 806. Jigs and texas 765
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

as others replied, all in preference...

I use a 7, 7'3, 7'6 and 7'11 for flp/pitch depending on size of weight or weight of jig along with how close my targets are. I use the 7'6 most of the time though.

For punching, I use a 7'11 x-hvy. This allows for longer flips into the heavy mats as well as picking up more line during hook sets. I have used a 7'6 in the past, but for me I have found I like the 7'11 more.
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Big Stick 74

Post by Big Stick 74 »

Thank you so much to all those who replied!! Much appreciated! Have a Great Turkey Day!