What would be a good reel for ?

Rod Martin

What would be a good reel for ?

Post by Rod Martin »

Flipping and pitching 30lb floro. I know the heavier floro is stiff and should work on a larger diameter reel but I need a lighter reel my grip and arm don't do well after a full day with heavier rods and reels.

Thanks
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
scott39

Re: What would be a good reel for ?

Post by scott39 »

I like Lew's Super Duty Wide or BB2
Dobyns Rods
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod, I don't think I would worry about a bigger spool to keep your line manageable. Most of the 150 size reels still have a relatively big spool diameter.
Flipping and pitching are short line techniques, and 30lb fluoro is going to be very durable, so you don't have to retie as often.
I would concentrate on a higher speed (like 7/1), light reel with a really strong drag.
Make sure it fits your hand, and that it balances well with your rod, and you'll cut down on fatigue.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

The reason we have high speed 8:1 ratio reels today is to off set the small diameter narrow spool on size 100-200 baitcasting reels loose about 50% IPT after making a 30-40 yard cast.
Flippin doesn't require a reel, pitching does. The reel only needs to have about 30 yards line capacity, nearly any bait casting reel will hold 50 yards on 30 lb FC/Copoly/mono. The issue will be line memory wound onto a small diameter spool. FC line has high memory and you would be better off using a premium copoly or mono line, bass are not line shy in heavy cover, FC doesn't offer any advantage only poor knot strength.
A Shimano Cardiff 300 series round reel has a decent size spool and drag at a good price point, not a light weight, Daiwa Tatula HD low profile is lighter weight with deep size 200 spool.
Tom
milehi

Post by milehi »

Flipping & pitching is about all I do 10 months of the year. For straight flipping I use a quantum kvd 7-1 & a lews SSG1Sh, 7-1. Pitching, skipping a curado 100
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Thanks to all. I just started using the heavier lines, decided I didn't like the feel of braid. Wanted to get away from it except for maybe the heaviest of cover.
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

The Abu Garcia Revo SX is a great reel. It's light, great drag, holds plenty of line, very well priced, smooth and fits very nice in the palm of the hand. Go with the 7:1.
Retail is $159 I believe but you can shop around and find sales here and there on them.

Good Luck ~
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

That app is one of those Curado K was designed to do.....bulletproof reel. Smaller, lighter and still a 200 size spool. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

DanIsaac wrote:That app is one of those Curado K was designed to do.....bulletproof reel. Smaller, lighter and still a 200 size spool. Dan
The brass main gear would make this a really attractive choice for me. Aluminum gears just don't hold up the same as brass under heavier loads in my experience.
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

mark poulson wrote:
DanIsaac wrote:That app is one of those Curado K was designed to do.....bulletproof reel. Smaller, lighter and still a 200 size spool. Dan
The brass main gear would make this a really attractive choice for me. Aluminum gears just don't hold up the same as brass under heavier loads in my experience.

How much difference is there in the Curado I and K ? I have several of those
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod,
Go to Tackle Tour, and check out the review archives. There are reviews of both the I and the K reels.
http://www.tackletour.com/menuarchive.html
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

mark poulson wrote:Rod,
Go to Tackle Tour, and check out the review archives. There are reviews of both the I and the K reels.
http://www.tackletour.com/menuarchive.html
I took a look. Think for me I will buy the 220i till I cannot get it anymore , then start on the new one. It looks like the 2 have the same cap.

Thanks for the help guys
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Last edited by DanIsaac on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Rod Martin wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
How much difference is there in the Curado I and K ? I have several of those
Curado K is head and shoulders above the i, and both have brass gears, which despite what some will tell you will do just fine flipping and punching as long as that was an app it was designed for, especially the new micro modulus gearing.

Brass will wear better in that it doesn't develop sharp edges as fast as aluminum, and brass main to brass pinion will wear softer than brass pinion against aluminum main.

More importantly, the anti-reverse in most instances, braking system, spool size, and that of reel IMHO. Curado K is superior across the board, while retaining the 200 spool which allows use of "full spools" of larger diameter/weights of lines. Curado i is a fine platform, especially what one can get them for now, but the K is superior.

p.s. don't listen to all of the internet b.s. surrounding "plastic" in the reels. Look in any baitcaster these days, plastic and Teflon is being used more and more, one for it's reduced weight. Two, it's longevity and corrosion resistance, and three, in some cases lower costs. All mfg have plastics and Teflons, Shimano uses much less than most, but when they do use it, there is a reason that just isn't cost driven. Most of the time it revolves around longevity and corrosion resistance.