Skin prick, half way or through and bury?

Hookset5

Skin prick, half way or through and bury?

Post by Hookset5 »

Hey fellas (and ladies).
I was wondering about rigging soft plastics on a hook. Usually, I run the hook all the way through the bait and bring it back to bury the point. I've noticed I spend a great deal of time re-burying the point. I wonder if I skin hooked them, if a bass would push the hook through the plastic on a hookset or not? I've seen some guys do it this way and I wonder if they miss fish?
jack morris

Re: Skin prick, half way or through and bury?

Post by jack morris »

Skin hook,you should not miss any fish.
Double-G

Post by Double-G »

Hey Hookset5,

Here's a couple of things to think about. How heavy of cover are you fishing, in heavy cover I will bury my hook in the plastic and in lighter cover I will leave it more texposed. Your equipment will also dictate whether or not you can get the hook to penetrate the plastic and eventually the fishes mouth. Types of hooks make a difference also. Take a look at the Trapper Tackle XHeavy offset worm hook it allows the plastic to hold in the box and keeps the hook point right at the surface for instant hook penetration. Rip Lips!
Greg Gutierrez
Frenzy Baits
Hookset5

Post by Hookset5 »

Hey thanks for that response. On the subject of hook style, I looked at those Trapper hooks, it appears they made a ewd style hook but the point barely comes up past the inventive "U" shape. Im wondering how the ewg helps when the hook cannot penetrate past the shape
Double-G

Post by Double-G »

Ya the EWG looks like it doesn't have enough bite but it does. Once the hook starts the plastic rolls out of the way and keeps on penetrating. The Round bend is a great option too.
Greg Gutierrez
Frenzy Baits