Ca delta senko set up question?

Ufish

Ca delta senko set up question?

Post by Ufish »

Was wondering how you guys like throw your senkos wacky or texas rigged also maybe you can explain your set up, spinning or casting rods line weights ext.,seems like ive got more bites on a wacky style set up but small fish i might be missing somthing thanks again western bass.
Whoopbass

Re: Ca delta senko set up question?

Post by Whoopbass »

I use usually throw it wacky style with a small 1/0 or 2/0 hook on a casting rod with 15# fluoro. I generally do better catching larger fish with it if I concentrate more on isolated cover like tule clumps or points. If you're able to time it right with the tide and such larger fish move up on this structure to feed. Seems like if I work my way down a tule wall or rip rap bank I catch a lot of small fish.
I do like to texas rig a 6" senko and let the current feed it down into isolated tule clumps.
You can rig and work a senko any way and catch fish the puzzle is presenting it at the right time in the right spot for these larger fish.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Whoopbass are you fishing it whacky and weightless? I prefer fishing mine weightless and whacky but the tide usually moves it away from the cover quicker than I would like.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I generally always try to throw it weightless. If the tide is moving good then I position the boat so its facing in the current and I let the current bring my bait into the isolated cover. Cast it far enough past the cover and the senko will get pushed by the current and fall down into the cover. I texas rig it for this and I do the same if i'm trying to get my senko down inside tight into the cover. If i'm just tossing senkos down a bank or a line of tules I just rig it weightless and whacky. I have tried several different styles of weedless whacky hooks and I personally think the hook up ratio stinks. Exposed hook you hook em nearly every time.
FlippinDbombs

Post by FlippinDbombs »

I always throw a 6 or 7 inch senko Texas rigged weightless with a 4 or 5 straight shank worm hook easier to get way back in the tulles and I can work it out . I throw it on a Daiwa steez 7’1 heavy with 20 pound seagur floro.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I use 20lb floro, 7' Phenix ML rod with either a 1/16 or 1/8 joy tungsten weight , 5/0 ewg or round bend hook.
If I am pitching I change to braid and a 7'6" Phenix XH rod but same rigging.

Try the 925 or 955 senko
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
DDG

Post by DDG »

powell inferno 725 paired with a lews super duty 7:1 reel works great for pitching or skipping texas rigged or wacky senkos on 17lb P-line tactical flouro

you always want that extra backbone on the delta!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

In the Cal Delta I use only 6" or 7" Senkos. I Like the big Monster EWG hooks from Gammy in a 5/0 or 6/0. I Texas rig these. I will wacky once in a while but there's just not a perfect hook for this style in the grass. I use 20Lb test Floro or I'll use braid tied with 20LB Test P-Line leader material. Rods? We make lots that will fish bigger Senkos in the Delta. Any of our 735C models in any Series, Champ 744C is awesome and so is our Champ 736C. It's powerful but it pulls them out of the thick stuff. Also our best Frog rod as well. As always feel free to call us at 530-671-1989 and we can dial you into the perfect rod for the bait, price, power, and about anything you'd like to ask us about rods.

We do this everyday so we are used to helping with rod info. THX!!!
Jason Borofka

Post by Jason Borofka »

My 3 Delta Senko set ups
Texas rigged 6inch 5/0 heavy EWG 40lb braid Dobyns 736c for pitching way back into the cover.

Wacky rigged 6inch 3/0 wacky hook 735c with straight 15 or 17lb Floro to pitch in the pockets and in the sparse tullies.

Wacky rigged 5inch 2/0 wacky hook 702 fury spinning rod 10lb Floro this one is a must have for me during the spawn and post spawn just making those long casts to beding areas and skipping way under docks where most guys can't get to.

I keep my color selection simple at the delta greenpumpkin black flake, watermelon red flake, black with red flake

Good luck this year,
Jason
Ufish

Post by Ufish »

Thanks for all the help Western bass.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Try the Tsuyoi wacky weedless hook. It's worked well for me.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
kmah

Post by kmah »

Jason Borofka wrote:My 3 Delta Senko set ups
Texas rigged 6inch 5/0 heavy EWG 40lb braid Dobyns 736c for pitching way back into the cover.

Wacky rigged 6inch 3/0 wacky hook 735c with straight 15 or 17lb Floro to pitch in the pockets and in the sparse tullies.

Wacky rigged 5inch 2/0 wacky hook 702 fury spinning rod 10lb Floro this one is a must have for me during the spawn and post spawn just making those long casts to beding areas and skipping way under docks where most guys can't get to.

I keep my color selection simple at the delta greenpumpkin black flake, watermelon red flake, black with red flake

Good luck this year,
Jason
Everything JB said is spot on. Here are my top 4 set ups:
1) I
2) don’t
3) throw
4) it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jerred A Jennings

Post by Jerred A Jennings »

Lol
kmah