New legistlation may be the most far reaching ban on fishing tackle in the country

WB Staff

New legistlation may be the most far reaching ban on fishing tackle in the country

Post by WB Staff »

Due to the large size of the lead weights and sinkers identified in the legislation, AB 2787 may be the most far reaching ban on fishing tackle in the country and will clear out the inventory of most fishing tackle shops. Moreover, given the significant restriction placed on lead content, it is not certain whether alternative products exist in the market and by most estimations, if alternative products do exist they can cost up to 20% more than traditional lead weights.

Read the rest: http://www.westernbass.com/article/ab-2 ... tackle-ban
Delaney

Re: New legistlation may be the most far reaching ban on fishing tackle in the country

Post by Delaney »

This thing is hard for me to understand the way it's written, but to me it says that under 2 cm in length and under 50 grams would be ok.
There She Is!!!
mark poulson

Re: New legistlation may be the most far reaching ban on fishing tackle in the country

Post by mark poulson »

Delaney wrote:This thing is hard for me to understand the way it's written, but to me it says that under 2 cm in length and under 50 grams would be ok.
The way I read it, it outlaws things under 2 cm in thickness, and under 50 grams in weight.
I think it would outlaw most jigs, spinnerbaits, split shot, dropshot sinkers, and lots of other lead tackle we use all the time.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

To me it says "greater than .75", under 1.75oz." is not okay, but "under .75" and under 1.75oz. would be ok.
I may be wrong, but the sentence is saying that to be illegal, it would have to be all three, bigger than .75", under 1.75oz., and more than 0.1 percent lead. I think an english teacher would agree with me.
There She Is!!!
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Delaney wrote:To me it says "greater than .75", under 1.75oz." is not okay, but "under .75" and under 1.75oz. would be ok.
I may be wrong, but the sentence is saying that to be illegal, it would have to be all three, bigger than .75", under 1.75oz., and more than 0.1 percent lead. I think an english teacher would agree with me.
No, it says smaller than .75" and under 1.75 oz. are banned.
Here is the actual text from the legislative site:

"a) A person shall not manufacture, sell, or purchase a fishing weight or sinker in California that has no cross section greater than or equal to two centimeters in length, is under 50 grams in mass, and contains more than 0.1 percent lead by weight."

This is apparently targeting small lead weights-- which includes pretty much most of the weights I use (split shot and drop shot). I suspect it's targeting the smallest weights because they are the ones that can be swallowed by birds. It specifically states "weights" which I hope will not include jigs but you never know. At least for drop shot weights it shouldn't include the long skinny snag proof ones since they are longer than 2 cm.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Stop the Fishing Tackle Ban! Sign the Petition.

As it states "There is no science that justifies banning fishing weights found in nearly every California angler's tackle box. Increasing costs and regulations have had a devastating impact on the state's fishing participation rate, and funding for conservation programs dependent on fishing license sales"

AS usual, we need to send a message to our government officials that we think this is a stupid idea, and illogical.

I've signed the petition. please join me, here's the link, takes two seconds...
http://www.savefishing.com/stop-the-fis ... -petition/
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

When would this proposed ban go into effect?
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

185vsfrog wrote:When would this proposed ban go into effect?
If we all act it may well not go into effect!!!!!

** If you don’t take action, AB 2787 will Become Law, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
please do so and indicate here you've done so, and how easy it was, thanks.

We've stopped many bilsl like this already, but only because of a strong outpouring by fishermen and their friends! :D
------------------------------------------------------------

** 1) Click Here to Sign the Petition
http://www.savefishing.com/stop-the-fis ... -petition/
------------------------------------------------------------
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Signed the petition.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I signed and forwarded the link....Let's get this moving folks.......
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Levy

Post by Levy »

signed as well.
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

This is the real deal folks. Better sign the petition.

Article in the Sac Bee on the bill today:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-gov ... 11764.html