casting rod for senkos

gman2

casting rod for senkos

Post by gman2 »

I want to start using a casting rod for Senkos instead of a spinning rod. Does anyone have any advice on rod choice? Med., Med/Hvy, Length ect. Also line choice. Probably $150-$250 price range. I'm partial to Dobyns rods but willing to try other brands. Thanks
Rod Martin

Re: casting rod for senkos

Post by Rod Martin »

I use a Phenix ML 7' MBX

I know everyone says I need a stouter rod , but the fish seem to take the bait better and I have no trouble pulling them out of the grass and pads here in Florida. I fish my senkos with a 1/16th oz sinker, sometimes a bead 5/0 hook on 20lb floro with a curado 200i

This works with 5", 6" senkos and sometimes I throw a Yamamoto single tail 8" or 10" grub for bigger fish.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Lots of options. I can recommend the perfect rod with a little more info. Senko size? Line size? Grass like in Delta? No cover like Oroville and Shasta? Preferred length? Honestly it'd be a lot easier to call us at 530-671-1989 and we can dial you right in. I fish 5 inch in Senkos in our lakes like Oroville and Shasta with spinning. I think I'm more efficient with spinning especially in deep water. But I never use spinning at the Delta or Clear Lake. We'll be glad to help with more info or just give us a call. THX!!!
fastcat

Post by fastcat »

All around rod would be a dobyns 734 that would cover lakes and the delta.
I run 12# flouro.
If you would mostly be in clear water foothill lakes a dobyns 733 would work good with 8-10#
gman2

Post by gman2 »

Thanks guys for the replies. And Gary, I'm a big fan of yours and your rods. I currently use a 703sf xp for my senkos. weightless 8# flouro. I fish mainly south valley lakes. Pine Flat, Millerton, Kaweah. I just want to get better with a baitcaster and improve my accuracy. I also have a 734 that I use for spinnerbaits. I've tried throwing a weightless senko with it but I suck. I was thinking I may do better with something like a 683 ? But your right I should call your shop. It would be easier. Thanks again everyone
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

One of my favorite Senko rods is the Daiwa Tatula Elite 7'3" MH. I use the same rod when fishing a lighter football jig in shallow water. This rod is legit!! see link.....

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Ta ... CRSXX.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

The rod I use for my senkos is a Dobyns Fury 7 3 med/heavy fast action rod and its $11o for a awsome rod.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Loomis 783 or 843 + whatever your favorite Reel is, spooled with 30-40# Braid with a 10-12 foot 12-15# Fluorocarbon leader.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Skeeterman wrote:The rod I use for my senkos is a Dobyns Fury 7 3 med/heavy fast action rod and its $11o for a awsome rod.
I too throw my weightless senko and fluke on the Fury 703C

I just broke my on accident and waiting for my replacement to come back i really like that rod.

The Fury 734C would work as well if you're in a bit more heavy cover but casting may be affected slightly
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

Dobyns champion 744 Texas rigged or weigh less.

The 7inch Senko has some weight to it and casts a mile
Par

Post by Par »

St. Croix Avid AC70MHXF
its a medium heavy power rod with an extra fast tip.
My favorite rod for senkos.
Sponsored by Murph's Mule Barn