Punch rod length

Hookset5

Punch rod length

Post by Hookset5 »

Preparing for summer punchin' and thoroughly going through my gear, I decided to get a new punch rod. Can someone explain the benefits of a long rod 7'9-8.5' while punching mats when you're not flipping them anyways? Aren't you within10-15 feet off the mat and pitching instead of flipping? I don't understand the benefits of a "long rod" for punching through heavy grass mats.
Kyle46N

Re: Punch rod length

Post by Kyle46N »

Degree of angle between rod tip and the point in which the line angles again due to the vegetation you just punched through. Longer the rod, the greater the degree of angle to that point, which should give you better hook set penetration.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Just adding to Kyle's response. Most guys are looking for an 8 footer for punchin. I make several 8 foot models. Personally, I punch with a 766 Flip Champion Series. Just a great feeling rod with perfect balance and lots of power. It works great for me and all I use to punch with. I've never had an issue. Always a few guys against the norm :)
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

Obviously, a longer rod will give you more leverage, but leverage isn't the only reason to pick a rod. A little shorter rod is more accurate if you a doing more pitching than flipping. Also, we are not all built the same. An 8 foot rod just wears me out because I am 5'7", 155 lbs., and I don't have forearms like Steve Garvey :D . 7'6" with a 10.5 inch rear grip is about right for me as a double duty rod. I would probably also have a 7'9" rod made if I spent more time on the Delta and Clear Lake, and I did more flipping. I would have an 8 footer if I were bigger.