Rod for throwing Toads

Rod Martin

Rod for throwing Toads

Post by Rod Martin »

I throw a lot of Stanley Toads. To the point of buying and rigging a rod for just that so what rod, reel and line do you guys recommend.
Also have to point out I really like Phenix rods and am looking at the Recon Elite, M-1 or Feather rods at this time.
Anyone with an opinion which of those 3 wold be best in what size and action or what other rods would compare to those.

Thanks
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Gotch

Re: Rod for throwing Toads

Post by Gotch »

Nothing against Phoenix rods but I would recommend a Dobyns Champion XP DC 735C F/C. Great all around rod, very light weight and well balanced. It does well for this technique and several others (texas rig, jigs, etc.). It retails for $260. If you want something at a little lower price point, the Dobyns Fury FR 735C is $110 and is the same action rod with a great value for the price. I like their rods due to the no questions asked replacement policy/warranty. I would pair it with a 7.0 speed or higher reel with 40 lb braid (or heavier) depending on the type of cover you are fishing. Hope that helps. Tight lines.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Gotch wrote:Nothing against Phoenix rods but I would recommend a Dobyns Champion XP DC 735C F/C. Great all around rod, very light weight and well balanced. It does well for this technique and several others (texas rig, jigs, etc.). It retails for $260. If you want something at a little lower price point, the Dobyns Fury FR 735C is $110 and is the same action rod with a great value for the price. I like their rods due to the no questions asked replacement policy/warranty. I would pair it with a 7.0 speed or higher reel with 40 lb braid (or heavier) depending on the type of cover you are fishing. Hope that helps. Tight lines.
Thanks, I always get confused when looking at the rating on rods. I see some that say MH and have the weight and line rating of another brands Mag heavy.
I will look around local and see if there is a store that carries dobyns rods
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Rod Martin wrote:
Gotch wrote:Nothing against Phoenix rods but I would recommend a Dobyns Champion XP DC 735C F/C. Great all around rod, very light weight and well balanced. It does well for this technique and several others (texas rig, jigs, etc.). It retails for $260. If you want something at a little lower price point, the Dobyns Fury FR 735C is $110 and is the same action rod with a great value for the price. I like their rods due to the no questions asked replacement policy/warranty. I would pair it with a 7.0 speed or higher reel with 40 lb braid (or heavier) depending on the type of cover you are fishing. Hope that helps. Tight lines.
Thanks, I always get confused when looking at the rating on rods. I see some that say MH and have the weight and line rating of another brands Mag heavy.
I have been throwing them with a skeet Reese Mag heavy crank bait rod, Get a good cast but rod bends to much on hook set.
Tried an old G. Loomis 6'3" mag crank bait rod not a good cast but sets hook very good.
Tried a phenix PHX-C766 works good but I have to put to much into the cast to get distance, at the end of the day my arm falls off
So I am looking for a long cast flexible tip, with backbone coming in fast to get a good hook set and to start moving them out of any cover.

I will look around local and see if there is a store that carries dobyns rods
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

If you are not completely locked on a particular rod brand, take a good look at the Daiwa Tatula Elite Series, Ish Monroe, frog rod. One of my favorite rods for the toads/ribbit baits. My set up, above mentioned frog/toad rod, Tatula SV high speed reel (SV designed to toss lighter lures), spooled with 50lb Daiwa J-Braid. See the link:

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/t ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

Rod Martin wrote:I throw a lot of Stanley Toads. To the point of buying and rigging a rod for just that so what rod, reel and line do you guys recommend.
Also have to point out I really like Phenix rods and am looking at the Recon Elite, M-1 or Feather rods at this time.
Anyone with an opinion which of those 3 wold be best in what size and action or what other rods would compare to those.

Thanks

The Legend Tournament Bass Series St Croix 7'4" Heavy slop n frog Rod. You will not be sorry!!! AWESOME ROD!!!
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Thanks for all the replies , I will try to look at them all before buying.
RJB

Post by RJB »

I would look at the Daiwa Tatula As well for a frog rod. Bought one last year and it’s super light with a great backbone. I throw my A-Rigs on it as well. Worth looking at! Good luck!
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

The issue you can run into with "frog" rods is casting accuracy. Most toads aren't that heavy so they don't load the rod tip to cast accurately. I use a 733 or 734 Dobyns on 50lb braid. Hope that helps.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Freefall wrote:The issue you can run into with "frog" rods is casting accuracy. Most toads aren't that heavy so they don't load the rod tip to cast accurately. I use a 733 or 734 Dobyns on 50lb braid. Hope that helps.
Thank you, That is the problem I run into. On my reg. frog rod the toad is so lite that I have to work my arms harder to adjust for lack of flex in the rod tip. But with the rods I have once a bass takes the toad my ability to get a good hook set is compromised

I will look at those rods, still trying to find that perfect toad rod.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Rod Martin wrote:
Freefall wrote:The issue you can run into with "frog" rods is casting accuracy. Most toads aren't that heavy so they don't load the rod tip to cast accurately. I use a 733 or 734 Dobyns on 50lb braid. Hope that helps.
Thank you, That is the problem I run into. On my reg. frog rod the toad is so lite that I have to work my arms harder to adjust for lack of flex in the rod tip. But with the rods I have once a bass takes the toad my ability to get a good hook set is compromised

I would look at a 4 power (heavy) rod with a soft tip. I primarily fish the Delta and my 734 Dobyns has worked well. It could still use some tip, my 733 is definitely more accurate but I loose the horse power when dragging them out of the grass or away from the tules. But I typically throw a 734 or 704 for better accuracy. It's about that time!
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Freefall wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:

I would look at a 4 power (heavy) rod with a soft tip. I primarily fish the Delta and my 734 Dobyns has worked well. It could still use some tip, my 733 is definitely more accurate but I loose the horse power when dragging them out of the grass or away from the tules. But I typically throw a 734 or 704 for better accuracy. It's about that time!
I have some Phenix rods so I try to compare to them because I know how they feel.
I have thrown the toad with the Recon Elite Heavy and it is a little to stiff on the cast, given that the MH rod also shows 3/8s as the low end does it have the same stiffness as the heavy but load up slower ? How would you compare a Dobyns to a Phenix ?

apples to apples.

Thanks

Phenix Bass Recon Elite Casting Rod 7'6" Med Hvy

Taper Line Wt. Lure Wt. Guides Handle Type Handle Length
Fast 8-17lb 3/8-1 1/4oz 12+Tip Rec Elite Cast A 14"
Phenix Bass Recon Elite Casting Rod 7'6" Heavy

Taper Line Wt. Lure Wt. Guides Handle Type Handle Length
Fast 12-35lb 3/8-2 1/2oz 12+Tip Rec Elite Cast B 15-3/4"