GoPro Power Supply?

Morgan

GoPro Power Supply?

Post by Morgan »

I've got a GoPro 4 Silver and have seen where people have a clear case that has a power cord coming out the side to eliminate the need for batteries. Tired of dead batterys just when I catch a decent fish. I assume it plugs into the cigarette plug. I think by looking online that it replaces the back door on my case. Anybody using this? and what do you think about it? worth it? Where to buy? what model?

Thanks, Morgan
TRIXGOTAFISH

Re: GoPro Power Supply?

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Hey Morgan you can find what you need in different ways but you'll need a skeleton case or modify your existing case to allow for power cord and/or external mic adapter to be used (obviously no longer 100% waterproof so just be careful)

And depending upon where you want the gopro situated i'd look into one of the yolotek telescoping poles which can actually use your navi light connection to supply power to your gopro

You can find everything you need here on their site:
https://yolotek.com/collections/all

Or you can run the skeleton case and en extension power cord to a power pack like this:
https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-20000mAh ... =20000+mah

Or to your cig lighter if available on your boat
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I was looking at something like this, although an extension stick might be an ok addition. Right now I have it mounted to the windshield so it misses the action on the back. This one is waterproof.
Attachments
GoPro case.jpg
GoPro case.jpg (21.75 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
Zploeger26

Post by Zploeger26 »

i dont post on here much but i do use my go pro alot for filming on my kayak i just use the go pro frame and plug it into an external battery pack. it usually lasts all day this way.
Bayarea-bassin

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

I understand the battery will last all day this way but what about the card. My sd card is 64 and will only last about 4 hours. You guys just swap out card? Or will a GoPro take a higher memory card. I've never tried one higher than a 64
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

On one of the sites I visited, that was rating this kind of equipment (remote power) he said he uses a 128 GB and lasts all day.
I'm seeing some of the cases have an access on the side for a micro USB to connect and some go through the back with a 30 pin connector. BUT, I have been seeing lot's of problems, but at least the suppliers are helping out really great.
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

I use a product called the battery eliminator and it works great. Remove actual battery and put this in and plug into my adapter through a cell phone charger with a USB.

If I am going to run it on something like a telescopic pole I just have multiple batteries ready to go.
Tyler Brinks
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I think the best is go with the external power supply pole mentioned above, but the wifey says I have to wait till we do the taxes ($129.99). I did get the case with the side access.

The best idea I found is to get a 128 GB card and/or us the looping feature on the GoPro.

You just have to remember after a good catch (or seeing the Loch Ness Monster) to hit the shutter button.

Morgan
Attachments
x-pwr external power case.JPG
x-pwr external power case.JPG (33.35 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
Jonwalter

Post by Jonwalter »

Anyone use new stick from GoPro?
I have little review for additional to this topic:
The GoRad Gear GoPro Stick is one of the most sought after devices thanks to its superior design and amazing features.

It is an extension pole that boasts of a CNC aluminium thumbscrew and aluminium compatible tripod mount that connects to GoPro Hero 4, 3, 2 and 1 cameras for perfect shots.

It has a twist locking system and an adjustable pole from 17 inches all the way to 40 inches. This means that it can also be used as a camera grip when it is folded, as a pope Mount for POV footage and as a follow-cam when fully extended.

It is worth appreciating that it is specially made from waterproof materials making it an ideal partner for outdoor activities and underwater adventures. Additionally, it comes with an extra nylon carry bag with zippered compartment, adjustable shoulder strap and cinch-cord opening for you to keep your selfie stick safe and take it wherever you go.
Last edited by Jonwalter on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

I bought a skeleton case that has an opening on the side (power and card access) and top (mic). Only came with the front of the case. Just use the back that comes with your waterproof case. Bought some of Macks soft silicone putty (for swimmers ear) to cover the open areas after plugging in the wires. This keeps it water resistant not proof.

I've used both the Yolotek and the suction cup mount on the console windshield. Just buy a long power cord to plug into your 12V supply or bring a battery backup and wear both on a chest mount.
cdrake

Post by cdrake »

I have found that running a cable to the cigarette plug just creates more unecessary clutter and is just another thing to avoid when maneuvering around the boat.

The best way that I have found has been to run the power from an external battery pack using a Skeleton Frame around the GoPro. I currently use a battery pack that uses solar power to charge, so I never have to worry about the pack going dead. I believe it is a "Levin" brand, you can find them on amazon for pretty cheap. I then use a carabiner to hang it off my ram mount with a 2 ft cable from the camera to the battery pack thus eliminating extra clutter and long cables to get hung up on.

This setup also allows you to use the GoPro without having to use batteries at all, as the GoPro will fully function with the external battery pack as the power source. You will need to have a high capacity cable in order to do this, as a cheap cable will freeze, corrupt files, or will stop recording all together when using a GoPro battery. It chooses between charging the battery or recording but will not do both.

I can fish an 8 hour tournament on one 64GB card with no problems at all and never have to stop to switch out batteries or cards. I use the looping feature and only turn the camera on while fishing and simply turn off before making a move.