18+ deep water CB rod (with flex!)

Hookset5

18+ deep water CB rod (with flex!)

Post by Hookset5 »

Hey all, I borrowed a Lews Perfect Crank-bait Rod from a friend. It's a MH/Moderate 7' 3" IM8.
My studies on rods has proven to me (at least) these numbers are all relative the the manufacturer. I found this rod to "feel" more like a mh/fast.
I'm looking for a deep crank-bait rod with backbone but a flexible tip up to the mid section. That could be a M/Fast or a MH/Moderate or a M/Xfast depending on the manufacturer. If they're not all alike, it's hard to shop for what you want but in laymen terms, meat and potatoes in the mid and but section and noodles up top..?? Any ideas what rod suits this best? I'm looking at W&M Reese series rods as I like the flexible tip on all their rods. The other choice I'm considering is a BPS crankin' stick. I'll be throwing divers up to 20+ feet thanks!
BigBassDaddy1190

Re: 18+ deep water CB rod (with flex!)

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

Mh to heavy moderate glass rod
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

St Croix Legend Tournament Bass magnum cranker. You will not be disappointed. It is AWESOME!!!!
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I use a BPS Bionic Blade model # BIB76HT. They're on sale for $50 right now. I believe it has the type of action you're looking for.
george

Post by george »

Where are you located? I would like to get a Spiralite glass rod in your hands just to give it a try. I throw 10X on the 7'6" MHFGlass and it is the bomb! You can really get the crank baits down and the rod is very lite so it does not totally wear you out!
WRB

Post by WRB »

Dobyns DC 765 CB for deep diving crankbaits. Take George up on his offer, no reason to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Tom
Hookset5

Post by Hookset5 »

Thanks for the input, everyone. I found most of those rods to be way under the lure weight I want, except the Bionic rod. It seems you really can't have a "wimpy tip" throwing 1.5 ozers. What I'm trying to achieve is the same feel I get throwing shallower crankbaits (4-8') and being able to feel the bottom like it's in my hand. Is that possible when you bounce off a rock at 30' deep from 30 yards away?
I'm new to deep diving crank-baits.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Big divers need a rod that will load and cast the bait. The whole key is getting distance so the bait can actually work it's way down to the max depth and stay in the strike zone as long as possible. So distance casting is super important with big divers. I would say an 8' rod and I'd recommend our 805 CB RM. This rod was made for Norman DD 22 baits. We sell tons of these for guys looking for best deep diver rod. We also have an 806 CB for 10 XD baits as well as an 804 CB for mid-range divers. As always feel free to call us for more specific info on what baits to what rods. THX!!