Ultrex trolling motor connected to Lowrance + Bird

Moderator: Ken Sauret

1simplemann

Ultrex trolling motor connected to Lowrance + Bird

Post by 1simplemann »

I upgraded and bought a boat that has an Ultrex trolling motor. While I have yet to use it, everybody says I'm going to love it. The previous owner had a Bird(don't ask model #- it's a 959 something) at the bow connected to his I pilot. Apparently, there are more features that can be done with a Bird than with a Lowrance such as following contour lines. The rest of the boat had 3 lowrances including a HDS 12 Gen 2 and 2 - HDS 9 Gen 2. Since my old boat had 3 HDS 9's Gen 2, I'm fairly familiar with them and the transition would be fairly easy.. So here is my dilemma. Following contour lines and not having to constantly adjust the trolling motor is a feature that would make things easier for me. The problem is the section of the lake that I mainly fish is not mapped by Navionic's but it is by Lakemaster. Lakemaster has a great map of my primary lake! I wish Navionic's did but that's another discussion. Anyway, when I'm running the lake it does me no good to have that Bird up front if I can't see the map that I have been desperately wanting for years. So I'm going to buy an extension, run a cord from the bow to the console, swap a console Lowrance out with the Bird. That way I can use the Ultrex to it's full potential and see my map as well. By doing that though, now I can't see what's below the bow on my DI,SI. Is there a way to utilize that ducer on the Ultrex for the Lowrance as well? As far as i know, the answer is no unless I disconnect and reconnect every time I stop. That sounds like a PIA! I thought I'd ask anyway. Can I put another Lowrance ducer on the trolling motor? The Montana Lowrance Rep told me there is a discontinued ducer that might work. Any ideas?
Mitch

Re: Ultrex trolling motor connected to Lowrance + Bird

Post by Mitch »

The Ultrex has to be connected to the Bird for it to function on contour. Also, Navionics works only with Lowrance, so you'll need a Lake Master chip and it only works with Bird. SO, as I see it, you'll need an extra bird and Lakemaster at the helm to do what you want to do. To see whats below the bow, you have to have a DI ducer on the TM. If you move the Bird to the consol, you'll have to have a separate ducer on the stern. Are you confused yet, LOL ??
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
1simplemann

Post by 1simplemann »

Mitch, I think you pretty much get what I'm trying to do. Kill 2 "birds" w/ 1 stone. I want to follow contours up front and use a LM chip at the console. I was trying to do that with 1 Bird but I think your right. I might have to buy another Bird. Cash is little tight right now so I was trying to avoid that option. A little birdy told me that my home lake will be mapped by Navionics within the year that's another reason why I was trying to avoid going that route. I was looking another way. Anyone out there w/ some suggestions?
1simplemann

Post by 1simplemann »

I was kinda hoping someone would have chimed in by now.
Ken Sauret

Post by Ken Sauret »

I don't understand why following a specific contour is so important while fishing. I suppose if you are looking at the wildlife and don't look where you are going it would help but when you are fishing, watch the depth and look for the structure where fish live and fish there. It may not be at a specific contour depth. But then I am a Lowrance guy and wouldn't own a 'bird anyway.
Ken Sauret
Lowrance Pro Staff
Lowrance http://www.lowrance.com/
Yamamoto https://store.baits.com/home
Dobyns Rods http://www.dobynsrods.com/
Yamaha http://www.yamaha-motor.com/
Personal Web Site http://kensbassfishing.weebly.com/
OldMikey

Post by OldMikey »

1simplemann wrote: now I can't see what's below the bow on my DI,SI. Is there a way to utilize that ducer on the Ultrex for the Lowrance as well? As far as i know, the answer is no unless I disconnect and reconnect every time I stop. That sounds like a PIA! I thought I'd ask anyway. Can I put another Lowrance ducer on the trolling motor? The Montana Lowrance Rep told me there is a discontinued ducer that might work. Any ideas?
The ultrex has the us/2 transducer built (2D only) into it. I'm assuming you can use an adapter to plug it into the Lowrance you are going to use at the bow. Or, as you asked, you can just use another Lowrance transducer on the Ultrex like you would any other fishfinder.

You didn't say where or how many units you are running on the bow or console. Also are you getting the DI or SI from the HDS units? The Lowrance units, if networked, can share SI, DI, and 2D. So, the only thing I see as an inconvenience is, if you are going to use the follow the contour or any other ipilot link functions on your ultrex, is you will either need to use the remote (for some of the functions) and/or go back to the console to activate ipilot controls.

The way I see it, run the 'bird at the console so you can use Lakemaster while motoring (your first requirement). Network the 3 Lowrance units to share the SI, DI and/or 2D as you see fit. Add transducers to the trolling motor and configure the Lowrance(s) you want, probably those at the bow, to use the new trolling motor transducer.

I love my ultrex and have used follow the contour many times to target specific depths, or even follow the contours of the bank at a certain distance (use your imagination, offset the 0 ft depth line by X feet :) ) Along with spotlock and go-to and circle, and... Its been awesome!
1simplemann

Post by 1simplemann »

Ken Sauret wrote:I don't understand why following a specific contour is so important while fishing. I suppose if you are looking at the wildlife and don't look where you are going it would help but when you are fishing, watch the depth and look for the structure where fish live and fish there. It may not be at a specific contour depth. But then I am a Lowrance guy and wouldn't own a 'bird anyway.
I'm a Lowrance guy as well but the problem is Navionics is in no hurry to map the remainder of my home lake. My favorite section of the lake is 60 miles long and is uncharted by Navionics. BUT Lakemaster did a great job and mapped the whole thing. I took a one on one Lowrance class from the state Lowrance rep. Do you want to guess what he was using to run the lake with? A 5" portable icefishing Bird! Even he is disappointed in Navionics and Lowrance for this particular lake.
1simplemann

Post by 1simplemann »

OldMikey wrote:
1simplemann wrote: now I can't see what's below the bow on my DI,SI. Is there a way to utilize that ducer on the Ultrex for the Lowrance as well? As far as i know, the answer is no unless I disconnect and reconnect every time I stop. That sounds like a PIA! I thought I'd ask anyway. Can I put another Lowrance ducer on the trolling motor? The Montana Lowrance Rep told me there is a discontinued ducer that might work. Any ideas?
The ultrex has the us/2 transducer built (2D only) into it. I'm assuming you can use an adapter to plug it into the Lowrance you are going to use at the bow. Or, as you asked, you can just use another Lowrance transducer on the Ultrex like you would any other fishfinder.

You didn't say where or how many units you are running on the bow or console. Also are you getting the DI or SI from the HDS units? The Lowrance units, if networked, can share SI, DI, and 2D. So, the only thing I see as an inconvenience is, if you are going to use the follow the contour or any other ipilot link functions on your ultrex, is you will either need to use the remote (for some of the functions) and/or go back to the console to activate ipilot controls.

The way I see it, run the 'bird at the console so you can use Lakemaster while motoring (your first requirement). Network the 3 Lowrance units to share the SI, DI and/or 2D as you see fit. Add transducers to the trolling motor and configure the Lowrance(s) you want, probably those at the bow, to use the new trolling motor transducer.

I love my ultrex and have used follow the contour many times to target specific depths, or even follow the contours of the bank at a certain distance (use your imagination, offset the 0 ft depth line by X feet :) ) Along with spotlock and go-to and circle, and... Its been awesome!
I'm running 4 units. 2 up front and 2 at the console. The original owner had the Bird up front specifically for the Ultrex and the contours. He loved it. He said it was the best trolling motor he ever owned. I've heard the same from other owners as well. I would prefer the Bird at the console so I can see the chart while running but at the same time I would like the benefits of the Ultrex as well. I want my cake and eat it as well! I can see DI/SI at the console. I can buy an ethernet extension and run it up to the bow unit. I will then see DI/SI but I will have already passed it by the time I see it. Still looking for the solution.
OldMikey

Post by OldMikey »

You can just mount another SI/DI transducer to trolling motor. Its been awhile, Lowrance guys can be able to tell you,I think there a LSS-1 or LSS-2 that you could mount to the Ultrex for "real time" SI and DI, if that's what you want.

How were you able to avoid the situation
I will then see DI/SI but I will have already passed it by the time I see it.
before?